Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Youtube video - DA42 IFR into Frankfurt in heavy weather

That AOPA video is also excellent.
On the subject of seminars, someone on another forum organised CRM seminars for PPLs. They were very informal, very interesting and very popular.

Forever learning
EGTB

I don’t read the comments here as ridiculing the Frankfurt pilot. Lots of good questions though.

He chooses to not participate, which is fair enough. But I am sure he could contribute well.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If I may psychologize for just a little while:

So few pilots in Europe actually fly IFR and even less so in twins, so whenever someone post a video of such an event, in their own plane, you have the peanut gallery who never really fly that much and who might have a little bit of resentment in them because they can’t fly as nice a plane, critique things to the hilt. It creates the perfect storm of envy and inexperience.

We are all just humans after all.

AdamFrisch wrote:

So few pilots in Europe actually fly IFR and even less so in twins, so whenever someone post a video of such an event, in their own plane, you have the peanut gallery who never really fly that much and who might have a little bit of resentment in them because they can’t fly as nice a plane, critique things to the hilt. It creates the perfect storm of envy and inexperience.

Or – most pilots rather concentrate on airmanship and doing things right, with whatever plane and rating they got, rather than trying to “impress” with expensive iron and ratings. Besides, the most critical comments here are from professional pilots, flying much larger aircraft, and with much more “impressive” ratings, so I don’t really get your point.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
If I may psychologize for just a little while:

I fly that type on a regular, professional, basis. I think I’ll stick by my initial comments.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

I’m a non-pilot so I will avoid saying anything about the flying. However, having watched his videos for a while, one thing that might be relevant is that in a previous video while on short-final at an airport he was unfamiliar with he was given taxi instructions. He missed the turning he was expected to take which resulted in a regional turboprop having to go-around. I suspect he had that experience in mind on this approach.

LondonMike wrote:

while on short-final at an airport he was unfamiliar with he was given taxi instructions. He missed the turning he was expected to take which resulted in a regional turboprop having to go-around.
If you refer to the flight to ENGM, he was given the taxi instructions way late in the approach and had no chance to check the chart and plan his touchdown point properly. That go-around is on Oslo ATC.
Check the video to EHAM, the controller communicates on time, he stays on the runway very little time.

ESMK, Sweden

At larger airports, I often reply to the landing clearance wiyj “RWxx, Cleared to Land, Confirm you would like me to vacate via ….”.

Biggin Hill

That go-around is on Oslo ATC.

Totally agree. Just checked back on the video. He was actually on the runway before he got the taxi instruction.

But I suspect that experience is still why he wanted to know where to vacate, hence the comical telling off from the tower controller.

Last Edited by LondonMike at 05 Jul 20:00

Well….

It certainly wasn’t totally perfect from his side. When you don’t receive any turnoff instructions whilst in the air, but you do know the airport is busy, then ideally, you should touch down say 400 meters (or whatever it takes to slow down to 15 knots) before any suitable taxiway. He taxied past C3 at, what, 25 knots?

On the other hand, the controller can’t make it so tight that just missing one of several taxiways (an extra 20 seconds on the runway?) requires a go-around. So either the spacing was too tight or, more probably, the go-around instruction was uncalled for.

Also, she asks him if he can make A3 just by the time it be omes evident that he will not make it. In instead, she should have said “expedite to vacate next to the right, Charlie 4”, (which was just 300 meters further down!) and all would have been well.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 05 Jul 20:17
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
130 Posts
Sign in to add your message