Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Your percentage of cross-country time

LeSving wrote:

We still have a rule in Norway saying flying further than 50 NM from the starting point requires an operational flight plan

Are you sure that’s still the case? Do you have the reference?

LFPT, LFPN

About 65% x-country vs 35% local as per FAA definition, i.e. min 50Nm in straight line between t/o and landing airfield.

100%

EDDS - Stuttgart

MedEwok wrote:

I always thought "cross country " is when you leave the traffic circuit…

This used to be the german definition (to be exact cross country was “when you cannot see traffic in the traffic circuit any longer”), but Part-FCL now says:
“Cross-country’ means a flight between a point of departure and a point of arrival following a pre-planned route, using standard navigation procedures”
Other authorities (like the FAA) have different definitions.

Friedrichshafen EDNY

The more basic point might be that AFAIK there isn’t any EASA license or rating that requires any x/c time (apart from the EASA CPL x/c which IIRC is 300nm, but that is a specific flight which is normally set up to be done on a single day between suitably distant airports) whereas in the US system there are such requirements, although it being about 10 years since I collected my last FAA bit of paper I can’t remember them The FAA CPL also has a x/c requirement of 300nm and with landings at 3 different airports but again that is normally set up as a one-day trip.

On a local flight for currency I try to never do less than 1hr – to allow the oil to warm up properly. Usually I do more or less just 1hr – a nice flight with passengers is around the Isle of Wight which is 1hr. So my average flight time is going to be more than 1hr.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The more basic point might be that AFAIK there isn’t any EASA license or rating that requires any x/c time

Hm, what about the PPL to begin with? 10 hours of solo flight time out of which 5 must be cross-country time are required.
The 150nm-flight with two intermediate stops usually takes about 2,5 hrs. block time, all the rest of the solo time can be flown on A-to-A-flights. Whether this makes sense from a training standpoint is another debate.

Last Edited by tschnell at 05 Aug 16:58
Friedrichshafen EDNY

I thought a EASA PartFCL PPL required a 150nm+ cross country solo flight.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Yes, sorry, although that is again just a specific flight. It doesn’t define “x/c” as 150nm; likewise the CPL 300nm one doesn’t define “x/c” as 300nm.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Yes, sorry, although that is again just a specific flight. It doesn’t define “x/c” as 150nm

Correct, but you need cross-country time for the PPL on top of that specific flight – so an EASA definition of XC-time is required to define which flights qualify and which do not.

Friedrichshafen EDNY

Pretty much all of them as far as the normal definition of point to point flights are concerned. I have not done a round trip without landing elsewhere for a while, I think the last one was in 2013 but lasted 4 hours.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Sign in to add your message