Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Will the LAPL be harmful to GA?

who can not pass this really should not be flying.

I would strongly disagree with that, as written, because there is a great deal of detail potentially involved. See e.g. here. For example you could be basically very healthy and have some surgical procedure, and your EASA medicals will jump 10x in price, as well as requiring scans which have a nonzero change of giving you cancer. FAA medicals can be harder than EASA ones, in these situations. Most pilots give up flying when faced with that. On the NPPL + medical self dec they can continue flying, UK VFR only. There is no evidence there is an increased probability of pilot incapacitation when one doesn’t see an AME; this was proved in the USA. The requirement to see an AME is driven purely by ICAO, by the AME lobby, and by emotional arguments.

Sure you can lie to the AME and it is very easy (most pilots make damn sure their AME is not their GP, so the AME will never find out you had a heart transplant ) but then you have no insurance coverage if there is an accident.

Self declaration works because virtually all pilots are smart enough to not fly if they feel really bad and they don’t want their family to be asset stripped if they crashed.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Fly310 wrote:

I think it is complete bullshit. It is like when the rock music came, or the hip hop, or the fidget spinners. Some people do not like change. This kind of attitude that your(and others) instructors are having is what is harmful to GA. We must embrace these new rules and use them to our advantage. The LAPL has several really good things that was completely impossible before it: [……..]
Yes, sure, I know all about that and personally I think that the LAPL is a good idea — certainly a much better idea than the EIR. But our instructors know all about that, too. You can’t dismiss a concern as “bullshit” just by mentioning positive things that do not directly relate to the issue at hand — that of keeping people flying. It is a fact that lots of new PPL holders quit flying within a few years of getting their license. The question is — will this be different (in any direction) with the LAPL.

And my club is right now promoting the LAPL as the main entry into private flying. We do that even though it will mean less aircraft rental and instructor’s fees simply because the cost to the student is lower and it is the purpose of the club to make available affordable recreational flying.

That does not mean that in the end the LAPL will turn out better than the PPL.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
22 Posts
Sign in to add your message