Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Why unnecessary stops should be avoided

Here is a list of BP charges, the accountants must have been up all night on this one

Google ….. are you up to speed on our fuelling prices BP

If you have an account with Worldfuel you can get quotes for fuel releases. Even if you do not use them all the time they have a very precise breakdown of such fees for many locations.

Actually WorldFuel has had such fees for quite some years. So far the deal was the BP card had a higher price per liter but did not charge any extra fees, so BP was ideal for small uplifts. The WFS card did have lower prices per liter but did charge such fees. Now BP seems to switch over to the WFS model.

Emir wrote:

Except if you’re one of more than 800 DA40D/DA40NG/DA42/DA50/DA62 owners in Europe.

Very true it mostly hurts piston JetA1 planes. In 2006 I was flying one of the first Thielert diesel planes from our club. That plane used so little fuel we did often refuel “automobile quantities” and we used to be the nightmare of the fuel truck drivers. Initially we have been based at the huge EDDB international airport and the fuel truck nearly had to use more fuel to get to our remote hangar than it would deliver to us ;-)

Maybe you can get BP with their PR department. They talk and talk about the future, efficient solutions etc. etc. But in real life they penalize those who actually fly efficient planes. I remember a pilot in Italy burning through a few dozen extra liters on the turbine to make room in the tanks for the minimum uplift limit as that was cheaper in the end.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Probably the best plane for avoiding stops is the TB20, with a range to empty tanks of about 1300nm.

It’s not quick but range is the greatest speed mod, especially in Europe where everything takes extra time.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

It’s not quick
That sort of depends on your perspective. Your 160kts is like a dream for me. I only see that in my C172 as ground speed when I get a 40+ kt tailwind.
LSZK, Switzerland

Sebastian_G wrote:

Maybe you can get BP with their PR department.

Thanks. I’ve tried two times but they simply haven’t replied.

Peter wrote:

It’s not quick but range is the greatest speed mod, especially in Europe where everything takes extra time.

In general, I have two problems with extending range flying slow. The first one if spending more time in the air with negative impact on flight hours limited components and frequency of services (besides of adverse effects to passengers ). The second problem is large TAS penalty with not much total fuel saved in the end across range flown. E.g. flying at FL160 and 12.2 GPH (70%) gives 169 KTAS which ends with 65 USG over 900 NM, 13.2 GPH gives 173 KTAS and 68 USG, while 14.0 GPH (80%) gives 177 KTAS and 71 USG over 900 NM. I’m sure going lower would increase range but obviously I’m not patient enough to cruise at 150 KTAS when I can do 170

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Which parts on your aircraft have airworthiness limitations based on flight hours?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Flying slower is worth doing with a tailwind. Various past threads. But as Emir says the benefit is quite small.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

boscomantico wrote:

Which parts on your aircraft have airworthiness limitations based on flight hours?

HP pumps, various other engine parts and services based on flight hours.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

And these are mandatory for airworthiness according to the MM? Or do you just elect to follow these, even though they are only recommended items? I am really not savvy with those modern diesel engines and Diamond aircraft.

An SR22 does not have anything that hinges on flight hours and is an airworthiness requirement (besides the 12000h total airframe life). Everything like CAPS components hinges on calendar time. Therefore, slowing down in flight does not really increase maintenance cost.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 22 Jun 14:29
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

And these are mandatory for airworthiness according to the MM?

Yes, these are mandatory. Even if you continue to use the engines beyond TBR, replacing flight-hours limited engine parts is mandatory under EASA reg.

boscomantico wrote:

Therefore, slowing down in flight does not really increase maintenance cost.

Except more scheduled services per less covered miles.

Last Edited by Emir at 22 Jun 17:47
LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message