Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Why is there no entrepreneurial mojo when it comes to owner flown in Europe?

I don’t get the ‘leaving EuroGA’ thing. A single thread descending into the abyss is easily ignored, as long as this does not happen on too many threads…

On topic – the heart of the matter is that there is a big cultural gap between the US (if you have it, flaunt it; combined with the American Dream of going from dishwasher to milltionaire) and Europe, which combined with lower utility value is not a good recipe for GA.

Biggin Hill

PS I am aware that it takes considerable effort to keep it that way, and for my part I am happy with interventions; and probably stopping this one was necessary “pour encourager les autres”.

Biggin Hill

Not completely on topic, but almost. Musings on airline travel…:

As I sit here delayed again at DFW, I reflect on how many times this happens and also on how few flights there really are that can get you anywhere when time is of importance. I fly for work a lot, prob closer to 50-100 days/year. What happens all the time in my line of work, is that I need to be able to be in a certain place at a certain time. If I can’t make it in time, the job goes to someone else.

Like yesterday, they wanted to book me in Spain on a job on the 2nd July, but since my last day on another job is in Tulsa on the 30th, there are no later connections out to any of the hubs. You literally can not fly later than 7pm out of there, which made it impossible for me to get there in time (as you lose a day going east) so had to say goodbye to a big job. I tried every which way to make it work, but no. Now, of course, Tulsa not being the major hub of the world I kind of get it, but it certainly isn’t the smallest city either. The problem isn’t just smaller cities, it’s bigger cities and even hubs as well. Try to find a flight from DFW to NYC after 8.30pm or an early morning flight to the US from Europe… Only when you start having to rely on airlines do you realize how few convenient or direct flights there are.

Few days ago I needed to get from OKC to Los Angeles. There are almost no direct flights from OKC to LAX, certainly none after 3pm (which means you can’t put a full days work in and still get there). So boarded OKC at 5pm, flew to DFW. Plane delayed due to electrical problem until 9.30pm. Probably gets me into LAX by 11pm. Total travel with this layover and delay is now around 8-9hr. Even in my slow 680V I could have done that in 5hrs, or 6hrs with a stop….

I know I’m just complaining and bitching, and it’s a luxury problem to have I suppose, but I’m constantly reminded when I fly airlines how inefficient the hub system is for anyone else but the airlines. And how slow it actually is. Up to a 1000miles, I would say that any twin engine or faster single aircraft will save you time door to door. Doesn’t matter if it’s slow, it’ll still beat a hub connection with a layover anywhere in the continental US and most places in Europe. Wish I could have stepped into my 680V and just leave this mess behind…

So if you got an aircraft and can afford them, fly ‘em! Sooner than we wish, our medicals or our finances or regulations will force us to stop. It’s an incredible privilege to be able to do this for the short time we can. Don’t waste it on airlines…

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 17 Jun 05:59

Adam,
you think with a stressful job and such a tight schedule flying yourself is the solution to all your travel problems? You think you would have enough time to prepare these flights, and you plan to fly through all kinds of weather, beating the airlines all the time?
I really doubt it, and in my own experience it does not work. Now i don’t fly a twin turbine airplane but an SEP, but still … I don’t believe in the concept of flying yourself when the schedule is that tight. To safely do what you seem to imply you need a business jet and a professional pilot, IMHO.

Last time you gave such advice here, Alexis, you remember what happened?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

AdamFrisch wrote:

I know I’m just complaining and bitching, and it’s a luxury problem to have I suppose, but I’m constantly reminded when I fly airlines how inefficient the hub system is for anyone else but the airlines. And how slow it actually is. Up to a 1000miles, I would say that any twin engine or faster single aircraft will save you time door to door. Doesn’t matter if it’s slow, it’ll still beat a hub connection with a layover anywhere in the continental US and most places in Europe. Wish I could have stepped into my 680V and just leave this mess behind…

Airlines fight over the bulk of passengers. They are flying maybe 2-5 times a year, for holidays and visiting relatives. If it takes 6 hours or 2 days, isn’t all that important. The important thing is price. If it’s too expensive, they will not go. It’s only between larger cities that efficiency comes into play, that’s where the bulk of “business” passengers are. If it’s too inefficient, they will not go. For anything else you need a biz jet

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I don’t know what you mean. And my opinion us not an advice. What has happened?

Adam this is part of the reason why owner flown aircraft as used so much in the US for business. They really do work there.

EGTK Oxford

Adam did you consider chartering a jet from Tulsa? It may have worked out and saved the job contract?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I do agree with Alexis that flying yourself on a tight schedule is not the safest way, as it results in “get-there-itis”. But the way Adam describes his schedule he needs to ​arrive on the right day rather than the right minute and that should be no problem​ if there’s a plan B.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany
Sign in to add your message