Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Why do some types recommend full flap for short take off

Pilot_DAR wrote:

The benefit of the 100 foot shorter ground roll was not balanced well against the number of wrecked Twin Otters.

I guess those fall under: “never aim for more precision than what is required for the problem in hand”, if it is very tight such that you need that “STOL 100ft” then you have to deal zillion other sources of uncertainty way more higher than pilot skill (e.g. wind suddenly dropping, veering, gusts? wing randomly stalling 10kts above VS0 on turbulences? if you eat lunch?…)

Last Edited by Ibra at 18 Apr 12:16
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Remembering that this is a forum for civil GA flying, it’s worth noting that STOL procedures, and aircraft types began as military, then crew to specialized commercial use. Those two types of aviation differ from what civil GA should be, which if fun and safe, rather than purpose higher risk. STOL operations, like low flying, and formation flying, involve higher risk, presumably for an operational advantage. Some commercial operations are higher risk, for commercial advantage. In each case [hopefully], the return is worth the risk.

Then GA morphs into some of these types of flying, because we can. Sure, I own a STOL modified plane, which I have for 33 years. The fact that I have a STOL plane does not mean that I regularly use silly short landing sites. I have, and I’ve thought twice about was it worth the risk. So I’m on a sand bar, very cool, but it was just for fun, is it worth it if I prang it here?

Okay, so I stay on “airport” runways, but I fool around with super short takeoffs – and bang my tail tiedown ring, was it worth it? (when I bought my Cessna, the pilot before had done this, and I took the tail all apart to fix it – ‘never done it myself – I understand the work to fix it!). Watch the Valdez STOL competitions, someone often bends something, and their insurance won’t be paying out on that!

Even the Robertson STOL Flight Manual Supplement tells the reader:

“Robertson NORMAL Operation is specifically tailored for the average pilot who desires increased safety margins, utility, and peace of mind.
This check list and associated performance data are designed to provide comfortable margins to allow for normal tolerance in the proficiencies of the average pilot. …..
It is recommended that Robertson NORMAL Operation contained in the check list be utilize except for conditions as described in your checklist marked “ROBERTSON STOL OPERATION”."

Then, later in the flight manual:

“Robertson STOL Operation is for use by the experienced pilot when emergency conditions or operation into austere fields require the utmost from your aircraft consistent with safety,”

So even the maker of about the finest STOL kit is telling you to only use those capabilities if you must. I expect that it’s because they know what I have learned, and that is that when operating STOL, you’re surrendering margins of safety on several fronts….

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message