Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Why do freelance instructors have to pay license fees to the CAA?

I know a CRE/IRR who has various other bits and he pays about GBP 6k a year to the UK CAA.

It is very hard to make this pay.

I know the FAA is US taxpayer funded so a bad comparison but an A&P, IA, CFI, CFII pays nothing to the FAA, and why should they? Even a DPE doesn’t pay AFAIK.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

£6K? I would suggest his ‘various other bits’ are wide-ranging.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

I will check this out, a friend of mine is a SE and ME instructor for everything up to the IR. He is also an examiner. I’m sure he has talked about this and it wasn’t anything like £6K in CAA fees. If you count the aircraft costs of keeping up type ratings and IRs it soon adds up though.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

The guy I know is an FE and a TRE on some bizjets also.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It’s odd that an individual anywhere should have to pay for a burden of government imposed on him in the interest and for the protection of a population as a whole. It’s just an exercise of power.

For a bog standard ppl/FE its about 3 grand every three years by the time you have taken loss of earnings and hotls bills into account. The other problem is the wife nagging that you are waiting annual leave to do it.

I know of a guy who just became an IRE and the initial training and test came to 14 grand. He had to pay for two examiners to be present. The approved course – two days and about 4 hours in the sim set him back 6. Grand. And he has now dropped it as he couldn’t make it pay.

6 Posts
Sign in to add your message