Banner
Welcome to our forums

Which hand-held radio?

I have the Yaesu 750. It’s great.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yaesu has now the 850..

EBST

If anyone makes a good offer, I have a second-hand Yaesu 750 and a second-hand ICOM A24 with rather extensive optional accessory lineup (cigar lighter charger, tray for powering through AA batteries, both original NiMH battery plus lithium-ion replacement battery+charger for the latter, headset adapter, …), that could use a good home.

ELLX

Vref wrote:

Yaesu has now the 850..

We can find some good offer on ebay it at the moment. I have an A6, rudimentary but close to pull the trigger on that one. The GPS functionality is nice, and the possibility to connect to a BT headset is nice.

Last Edited by greg_mp at 17 Feb 09:14
LFMD, France

Yaesu has now the 850..

Bought one a couple of weeks ago… military being asleep over Easter, I was able to shoot a couple of ILS on the closest ILS equipped military field today, and… gotta say that unit delivers
RAM panel mounted offered very precise and reliable guidance. Deliberate excursions showed very precise correction indications, down to whatever minimas. LOC and GS guidance is very good, forget about the background compass presentation.

Happy camper here

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

What does the 850 has on top of 750?

I had 750 handheld that I used to bolt on vintage open cockpit, it seems to work fine for ILS localiser & glidepath (I was tempted with a descente to minima on London City ILS as tower was sleeping but I decided to behave)

Last Edited by Ibra at 17 Apr 22:37
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

What does the 850 has on top of 750?

It has slightly larger and colour screen, bluetooth, 400 user-programmable memories, 6W output, and 2200 mAh battery (vs 200, 5W, and 1800 mAh for the 750) to mention a few differences.

LSZK, Switzerland

Bought the 850 in place of my 550 for the Bluetooth. Works well with light speed Zulu’s for clearances etc (avoids avionics power up prior to start) and emergency.
Firmware (v 1.0.0.0) is a bit glitchy, doesn’t seem to store some settings, external mic selector doesn’t seem to do anything etc but seems to work ok nevertheless

Last Edited by PeteD at 27 Dec 15:07
EGNS, Other

When I started I had an Icom, later moved to Yaesu, but never was really impressed.
For a while I am now using the Rexon RHP 530 COM/NAV and am really satisfied.
VOX for hands/PPT-free and coupling via BT works quite nice and adds to options.
I wonder why the brand is not more popular?

Germany

I just bought an ’850 but have only had it out once, for an hour. I have since changed a few of the settings so am not yet sure what I make of it. I will post a bit more on the thread I opened when I was trying to debug m. y ’550.

In retrospect I would have gone for the ’750 on the grounds that an LCD screen can be read by daylight, but a colour screen uses batteries whenever it is showing a picture. In other words, either you accept high power consumption for the ’850 when it is showing you information such as the time or frequency you are using, or you set the screen to turn itself off automatically but have to press a button to make it work again.

70 Posts
Sign in to add your message