Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What’s your preflight workflow?

Interesting thread. As a VFR only pilot who’s so far only flown locally (basically “burger-runs”, though I never eat anything on these), my preparations are rather simple (I despise the word “workflow” because it is often used by self-important “business types” in Germany in its original english, without the proper context).

A month before the flight
I identify suitable dates for flying in that month by finding a date that:

• I don’t have to work on
  • My wife has to work on
  • My children can go to kindergarten as usual on that day
  • It isn’t a weekend.

These rare dates occur about once every 2 or 3 month.

A week before the flight
If the conditions above are still met and my wife doesn’t veto me going to fly for other reasons, I reserve the plane with the rental company. The company I currently use has had 100% availability on my chosen dates so far, luckily.

Three days before the flight
I check the weather forecast text on the DWD app, to get an idea if VFR flying will be possible on the chosen day

The evening before the flight
I check the weather again and read the NOTAMs if I feel like it

Day of the flight

• I look outside the window to decide if the weather is still flyable, and consult the METARs/TAFs for my homebase EDDV. I also look at the weather radar on the DWD app and decide in which direction to fly.
  • I then grab my flight bag with VFR maps, license, medical, Bose A20 headset and something to drink, and drive to the airport (about 25-30 mins drive)
  • At the rental company I get the keys for the airplane, print out the approach charts of the chosen destination airfield (I don’t own any VFR plates myself) and go to security control
  • Once at the aircraft I do a walkaround and then follow the checklist meticulously. Usually I won’t have flown for 2 or 3 months prior, so I have to do everything “by the book” as if from scratch.
  • Once the preflight is complete, a last look at the weather and off we go…
Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Peter, my workflow is largely irrelevant irrelevant to those on here as I fly a jet.

The day before

File flight plan, check NOTAMS

The day

Check weather
Check W&B/Performance

Last Edited by JasonC at 07 Apr 21:26
EGTK Oxford
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message