Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What have you done with, or on your aircraft, this week-end? (9-10 December 2023)

Thread starter…

Not much flying activity on my field this week, as the weather has been pretty miserable. On the offering, either RASN, SN, of PRFG located right on the field.

In a nutshell, it is the perfect weather to continue my avionics yoga session

The basic installation has been done, the ancillaries aka sensors, need more time. I was saved from replacing the CHT/EGT gages, but for some repinning, but the rest of the sensors are not compatible with the Garmin 3GX being installed, and are being replaced and programmed in the system, one by one… a few more to go.
Luckily I quite like doing this kind of work, though would never do it professionally. The field’s maintenance is right next to my hangar, and I sometimes go and chat (or beg for that missing lug or else…), and being these avionics guys working on those panels… man, this is human torture

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Un piatto di spaghetti:

Those are only part of the wires linking the EIS (Engine Instrument System, also called the GEA24) to the various sensors…

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

Took the birds out for a spin from Cascais (LPCS) to Santa Cruz (LPSC), a mere 20 min flight each direction. Wx pretty decent with temps around 18C. Santa Cruz airfield (home to Aeroclube Torres Vedras) has a nice little restaurant on location – no landing charges and a 600M tarmac runway, with departures R35 straight out over the North Atlantic Ocean.

Santa Cruz airfield, home to Torres Vedras Aeroclub.

Airfield restaurant

One of the Santa Cruz beaches

Kiddo gets to play a bit. Obviously need to start bringing a seat pillow (or 5!)

Back at Cascais Tires (LPCS) airport

Outbound

Last Edited by Yeager at 08 Dec 18:08
Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

Solo night circuits (5x stop and goes) done.

EGTF, United Kingdom

My aircraft is going to be relaxing in the hangar trying to stay warm this weekend, thanks to the weather. @Dan, glad to see the upgrade is progressing!

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

@yeager, thanks for the mini-report. It really rekindles my desire for a return… I recall a hyper busy Caiscas last time (about 4 years ago…), but that coast sure is a treat

Thanks @eurogaguest1980. It is good fun and satisfying, though not always comfortable… sure no risk of falling asleep whilst sniffing on the rudder pedals, with the flap handle massaging my lower vertebrae, trying to close some stupid cable ties single handed

Pic of the day, taken 20’ ago…

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

Yeager wrote:

Took the birds out for a spin from Cascais (LPCS) to Santa Cruz (LPSC)

Huh? I read recently that the landing and handling charges at Cascais are now hundreds of Euros making the airport out of reach for casual GA. Is that not true, or is there an exemption for based aircraft?

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

Dan wrote:

It is good fun and satisfying, though not always comfortable… sure no risk of falling asleep whilst sniffing on the rudder pedals, with the flap handle massaging my lower vertebrae, trying to close some stupid cable ties single handed

Enjoy! Two recommendations – lots of yoga mats, foam rubber pillows, old matresses, and cushions for your back, and a Petzl headlamp. The headlamp was very helpful for me when I work on my aircraft even in a fairly bright hangar.

https://www.galaxus.ch/en/s3/product/petzl-actik-core-600-lm-headlamps-22658556

My only complaint about this headlamp is that the USB connection to the headlamp is not USB-C.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

After a rainy friday; skies barely opened up this morning; but just enough to get a MOU lesson. And as I was backseat on the first leg, yes, I could take some pictures.
OVC4800 at LFMD, just enough to get through the first line of moutains.

Here is a small video of slats working at takeoff, at max MTOW.

We continue on a route roughly 320° to Clamensane altisurface, where we know we were not going to land because of the previous heavy rains, but just for the exercise, and then landing to Gap LFNA. The exercise ceiling (for the exercise) is 5500ft but we hit the OVC layer a bit before, trying to find a hole.
The MI got me on how he first found it, and how he could ensure we will go through.
Spiral climb at Vx.:

Et voila

A nice white snow layer and a white cloud not far.

This ridge is 5500 to 6000ft high, let’s cross it ;).

We finally arrived at Clamensane where it’s very muddy, a landing is not suitable… The other rally on the parking side of the altisurface has suffered a prop strike last wednesday when U-turning to align for takeoff, and the ground was so muddy that even a 1% slope made it slip to the trench situated just lower, and the prop hit the ground.
Now the plane is to be checked, and it will take some time…

We landed in Gap, let a fee and a light liquide deposit, and departed for the return trip…

Last Edited by greg_mp at 09 Dec 14:08
LFMD, France

greg_mp wrote:

After a rainy friday; skies barely opened up this morning; but just enough to get a MOU lesson. And as I was backseat on the first leg, yes, I could take some pictures.
OVC4800 at LFMD, just enough to get through the first line of moutains.

Awesome reporting. Real mountain strip exploring and the Rallye is capable of many things – nice filming from the backseat as well! Cool!

Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal
22 Posts
Sign in to add your message