Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What happens to your license if ATO gets kicked out of CAA/EASA?

What happens if you get your PPL (or any other license) and then, the school in question, after a year or so gets disqualified as ATO for misconduct?
Has this ever happened? If so, does your PPL get revoked in this case?

Sorry if it’s a stupid question, but I couldn’t find any info about this online.

Switzerland

I would have thought once you got your licence, and connection to the school is historical and irrelevant. Their bad conduct shouldn’t have any effect on you.

But I suppose if they could show fraud on your part (e.g. Your hours or flights were fictitiously recorded on your application on the schools instruction) then they could probably revoke your licence.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

In the past FAA, has revoked certificates & ratings issued by an individual

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Notice/N_8900.421.pdf

In EASA land, things are done with organisations approved by organisations, the NAA approves the ATO and the pilot trust NAA judgment? I doubt the papers will get revoked even if ATO turns out to be run by criminals? as long as no fraud in pilot application…

Last Edited by Ibra at 22 Feb 21:35
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

@Ibra, what happens if xAA discover later that the one the instructors did not have the right papers? For example, they missed that on of them was CRI and not FI?
I know that if it is discovered at the application stage, then it is rejected. What happens if it was discovered after?

EGTR

arj1 wrote:

@Ibra, what happens if xAA discover later that the one the instructors did not have the right papers? For example, they missed that on of them was CRI and not FI?
I know that if it is discovered at the application stage, then it is rejected. What happens if it was discovered after?

Yes, this is more in line with what I meant to ask, thank you.

Later edit: Yes, it’s a theoretical question. knocking on wood

Last Edited by The99percenter at 22 Feb 22:00
Switzerland

I am sure the question is theoretical but I doubt it ever happened say in UK “mass revoke of papers”? also, it’s normal for instructors & examiners to hand you their medicals & certificates to inspect, I did check my examiners papers on PPL skill-set & IR skill-set…not that I managed to guess, you also get everything from them to scan & send to CAA and you are not flying unless everything comes back

In FAA land, it happens, see my example but FAA has the habit of publishing pilots credentials, which I think is a better system than “trust my organisation” (it will be good if CAA/EASA publish pilot details like FAA)

Last Edited by Ibra at 22 Feb 22:02
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

disqualified as ATO for misconduct?

What was the misconduct?

There is precedent for this sort of thing, which is country-dependent, and highly situation-dependent.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Important side note to @Ibra’s comments re the FAA above. This was the case of one rogue DPE, NOT of an ATO. So, the fraud was committed at the examiner level, not at the training level. In fact, AFAIK, there were one or two other similar cases. If memory serves, they were all related to a DPE working for one of the training facilities that deal mostly with foreign students. Short of faking the logbooks (and the training and airplane logs), I cannot imagine why a license should be revoked after the applicant has satisfied the examiner for the issuance thereof.

The99percenter wrote:

What happens if you get your PPL (or any other license) and then, the school in question, after a year or so gets disqualified as ATO for misconduct?
Has this ever happened? If so, does your PPL get revoked in this case?

Sorry if it’s a stupid question, but I couldn’t find any info about this online.

I seem to remember that this happened a couple of years ago. If I recall correctly (which I may not) it was an ATPL ground school in Greece and every license issued on the basis of its theoretical training was revoked.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I have not heard of that. Can you find any details?

There was an operation in Spain which was reportedly selling the 14 CPL/IR (“ATPL”) exams for €10k. The exams were actually sat by a real person (not the customer). Many people went through that facility. Nobody got their papers revoked.

Obviously this is very much secondhand info.

For Greece, google finds only some maintenance company having its license revoked.

The FAA does this from time to time. I know of a great case, from about 10 years ago and definitely true (involved people I know personally) but can’t post it because the guy threatens legal action readily… The FAA does this periodically because DPEs are independent individuals so the FAA loses no income by doing so. In Europe, issues with “organisations” are generally covered up, and I have personal experience of that too.

Like I posted above, what are the details in this case? The topic is quite specific. Has any ATO in Europe actually lost its approval?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message