Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What education/experience for aircraft service

Yes – you have to do the EASA exams to go FAA to EASA.

The EASA66 exam material is terrible. I have seen some of it. The electronics stuff is about 50% simply wrong (was written by some idiots) so somebody who understands the subject will never pass.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

There are some grandfather routes e.g. go to the USA and do an A&P (maybe 2 years’ stay while working on maintenance) which gives you certain credits towards EASA66 stuff. A colleague of mine (A&P/IA) has done this recently. But there is no quick shortcut. Every route involves work experience, and it’s not well paid work. You have to like working on small planes.

FWIW, here’s how the five A&Ps who typically sign off work on my planes got their FAA A&Ps.

1) Best friend as a teenager was 5 years older (say 21) and was an A&P. As time went on best friend took test for IA, then became DAR, and he signed off the experience requirement for my friend ‘working under him’. He took A&P test and IA test, but never actually did paid work in the field until after getting the A&P.

2) Dad operated a small FBO, and was an A&P. Same basic idea as guy #1.

3) Hung around rural fire bomber base until they gave him a part time job after school at age 16, gained experience, took exam.

4) Hired on as unskilled labor at Great Lakes aircraft factory, circa mid-70s. Took A&P exam

5) Works as truck mechanic and wanted to work on his own plane without supervision. Took classes at local community college. Took exam.

With the exception of Guy #5 they all got the experience very young, when money wasn’t a big factor. None of them make their money as an A&P now, its just a card in their wallet used when necessary.

I often seem to do things backwards so after I retire I might try to figure out a way to get an A&P certificate, even taking the classes if necessary.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 12 Dec 15:35

I would check spam boxes initially, etc. PM delivery is working for me – I got some yesterday.

If possible, whitelist (at your email ISP’s config) the email address [email protected] from which the forwarded PMs are emailed to the recipient. Many ISPs offer a “trusted sender” config of some sort. Some ISPs will mark an email address as trusted if you send an email to that address…

But also overly aggressive spam filtering remains a big problem all over the place…

I can also forward email addresses to somebody, if you ask me to

Michael – I will send you a PM now.

Administrator

Michael, I wasn’t able to offer any useful info so no worries in this instance.

(Sorry for the diversion anyway!)

There was a problem with PMs – now fixed. Apologies! All “missing” PMs have been re-delivered. I will clean up this thread, for clarity.

Administrator
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message