Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What can and can't be discussed

As to the Hangar Talk discussions a big thank you to EuroGA for allowing some interesting discussion on Covid and other topics.

I find it interesting that these discussions are so often problematical. There are other pilot forum not too far from here were they have been totally banned. In consequence my impression is that the whole forum is diminished as a consequence, and I think this shows in the rather dreary and trivial subjects that remain. I know some will say, but it is meant to be a pilot forum, but inevitably so many of these other topics are relevant to what we do as pilots, and, equally as important, a pilot’s perspective is both informative and different from other perspectives.

I understand it would seem these discussions can be problematical for moderators, although I am never entirely sure why?

I can imagine complaints from some people who dont like to read opinions on some subjects, and, inevitably a moderator does not wish to see the forum cause offence. There is also the occasional suggestion of litigation, but I would imagine it is very diffiuclt for a forum to really place itsell in a position where there could be any meaningful litigation. I gather cetain members of the UK’s CAA may have sort to quash certain discussion by taking this approach.

It would be interesting to hear your thoughts and of course those of our moderators.

My view is that anything short of personally directed abuse should be OK.

Personally, I have found the views of many of the participants in the Covid related discussions to be really interesting. Clearly many participants are technically minded, and it seems that some are medical professionals. Their inputs and experience have been more useful and insightful that most I what I read in the mainstream press. Sure there are some participants who push a particular political or philosophical POV, but that is interesting too, as it makes me take pause and question my own views.

If you dont like the way some of the threads veer, then resist the urge to look at them (although it can be difficult!).

There are still plenty of other interesting, and very pilot oriented, threads on the forum. I really appreciate how Peter takes the time and effort to get new threads going too.

All together a truly excellent forum, and by far the best I know in aviation land. Much better than any other pilot or type forum I am aware of. Best of all I really like the broad spread of experience and perspective on Euroga, with pilots from all over the place, with aircraft of all sorts, from new pilots to inspirational old hands.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

Well, the title of this forum section is “A place for high-spirited discussion of matters often overheard in the airfield hangar (or bar!).” so there’s your answer

It has served us well since we started in October 2012. Also the forum Guidelines are nearly all as originally written back then; the only changes were additions driven by a very small number of individuals who went off the rails.

Some topics are difficult and I mentioned that here. That post also addresses the politics.

Coronavirus is a massive topic. It is the biggest thing to hit most of us in our lifetimes. It is the biggest thing since WW2. It would be daft to not discuss it, and the discussion has been good. Those who find it boring simply avoid that thread.

We have been threatened with litigation. It is always against me personally of course because the attacker judges that to be more effective. I doubt any of the threats were ever credible because I always discuss them with others in detail and everybody else thought they were barking mad.

If somebody posted something which obviously looks like it would be a problem, I would delete it right away and, if the poster was otherwise a decent person, would discuss it with him and in general the result is perfectly amicable. In most cases it is actually me trying to stop somebody getting pursued over a post they made which suggests some sort of illegal flying on their part In a number of amusing cases I have, after discussion with the poster, edited out their aircraft reg from photos.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
3 Posts
Sign in to add your message