Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

An amusing story about EXIF

EXIF is the data which your digital camera puts into the image file. It includes stuff like date, time, camera settings, and on GPS phones it can also be the GPS lat/long location.

Got to watch that last one - could be embarrassing )

Well... I was going through some pics from a flight yesterday and, having sorted them by ascending date/time (the obvious way) could not work out why the last few ended up way out of sequence, and timed about the time I was driving home.

Looking at the EXIF data (which is what I was sorting them by) this was obviously wrong. But why?

It turned out that at about that time I had flown into UK airspace, and in the descent got a brief GSM connection and picked up some text messages, which set the phone time to the UK time, and all the later pics were time-stamped UTC+1 instead of UTC+2.

Obviously I can disable auto time setting, but usually this is handy...

If carrying multiple cameras (or there are two of us with cameras) I always set them all to UTC otherwise one can never recombine the shots afterwards in the right order.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If carrying multiple cameras (or there are two of us with cameras) I always set them all to UTC otherwise one can never recombine the shots afterwards in the right order.

I travel a lot!

I set my watch to local time en route. I leave my iOS devices set to UK local time so that calendar entries don't change. I leave cameras set to UTC always.

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

Never taken a picture on a phone, or made a phone call with a camera!

Neither would I with any of the current smartphones, whose cameras are of a "quality" at which the pictures are not worth keeping IMHO.

But the Nokia 808 is in another league, and it's refreshing to go on a trip and just take a phone, without carrying a DSLR and maybe even a camcorder.

A year ago I would not have thought this was possible.

I would still take the DSLR if going somewhere special, and it remains necessary for anything more tricky in terms of the subject matter, but for most stuff it stays in the drawer.

And the phone can be used to get aviation weather etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Never taken a picture on a phone, or made a phone call with a camera!

I have a Canon DSLR and a number of high quality lenses, but I don't know what it is they put in those iPhones, but they produce exceptionally good pictures on the ground and in the air. Except, most smartphones, like a number of smaller cameras cant avoid the bendy prop syndrome, but otherwise very good.

I took some pictures indoors in a fairly poorly lit room last week, which I was not allowed to use a flash, and the iPhone pics came out annoyingly better than my DSLR with the ISO ramped up, and all sorts of other settings which I thought would get the best out of the camera. But, I would never give up my DSLR.

5 Posts
Sign in to add your message