Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Best 360 Camera?

Just about to buy a 360 Camera.
I`m thinking of buying the Xiaomi Mi or the Instra360 for use both in model aircraft and for acrobatics in full-size aircraft.

What is your opinion?

Thank you.

Last Edited by at 25 Jun 10:26

I think it depends on what you want to shoot and the purpose of the video.

They all “work” but a lot of the footage looks really naff (of course I am assuming one plays them with the proper player, which I suspect many people don’t). The result is even less likely to be watched more than once than the countless videos made with very wide angle lenses on the go-pros etc.

Just my opinion of course, but then my flying videos are made for education reasons and are boring to most people

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Just my opinion of course, but then my flying videos are made for education reasons and are boring to most people

Simplicity is good I wish all videos were to the point without the YT sub-view hysteria.

Thank you. Ordered the Instra 360 ONE due to mobile compatibility as an extra.

I want to shoot aerial mainly using RC models and aerobatic flights full-size aircraft.
Thinking already how and where I can mount that camera externally at my next aeros with a decathlon.

The mounting is critical to avoid jello – see e.g. here for a mod I did.

In general, optical stabilisation is a disaster for flying movies. In-camera software stabilisation usually works ok but is not necessary anyway.

There are also various previous threads – example. Plus others on sound recording.

Administrator

Nice. I have big experience in mounting cameras due to my RC hobby.
Problem is I`m renting for full size so it is limited what I can do.

For small cameras, sometimes anti-vibration plates similar to this one can work for jello.

Anti-vibration Plate

That sort of mounting can be used only internally. But you can’t get decent quality that way (of the external scene) unless you go to big lengths to make the window clean, scratch-free, and eliminate reflections of bright objects.

Administrator

I thought I would resurrect this thread as I have been experimenting with a GoPro Fusion on my Jetprop, mounted externally.

Apart from the enormous file sizes the camera generates, the results have been very good IMHO.

The stability and lack of ‘jello’ effect are the first noticeable improvements, and then of course there is the novelty of being able to view the flight from a myriad of angles.

This was filmed during a low level local VFR flight with OAT of +35oC. I was unable to find a definitive temperature limit for the camera, GoPro don’t publish one, so I am thinking of trying it up in the flight levels to see how it copes with -13oC

HS-TOM 360 Flight Nov 25, 2020

The landing gear shudder during the touchdown made me wish I had not watched it. Ignorance is bliss… :-)

Cheers – E

Last Edited by eal at 30 Nov 12:38
eal
Lovin' it
VTCY VTCC VTBD

Interesting!

I’d say the movie has been rendered to a low bandwidth – perhaps 1mbps or similar. Try 10mbps as a minimum for any flying movie. 50mbps is even better but you can’t host it anywhere, especially not on youtube.

IME most consumer stuff packs up around -10C. One exception is the Pentax K1 DSLR which is good down to -20C or lower.

The gear judder is a fairly normal thing – see here. The hydraulic fluid follows the path of least resistance and there is only one circuit which is why different bits go up and down at different times. But it may indicate a gear pump about to go.

Administrator

Very cool video!
I started with a Garmin Virb 360 (a 45 minute flight turned into a 200GB file). The build quality was very good, the software ok but the camera overheated easily

I now use the Insta 360 One X and am very happy overall.

(360° Requires Youtube App or Desktop Browser)

always learning
LO__, Austria

Stall horn at 70 kt with flaps down? Never flown a Diamond but is this common?

ESME, ESMS
23 Posts
Sign in to add your message