Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How to make calls over WIFI, from one's mobile phone?

My Blackberry is on Orange UK (EE) and when connected to wifi AND the GSM signal is weak or switched off, will enter UMA mode....and treat the wifi as a virtual GSM cell....this is very hand when there is weak/no GSM signal....unfortunately it only seems to work while in the UK....unless there was some way of making the server think you were in the UK using VPN or something....

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Wow. 1 question and so many different answers, so many are not even close.

If you want to keep your landline I would get a Fritz!box. You can call from IPhone or android phone with an app. It is a clever router.

If you want be able to call from any wifi through your landline you better get serious kit. There are many PBXes to use as a SIP server. I installed an Elmeg ICT880, which is capable to do this, but far from cheap. You can experiment with an Asterix server, if you like playing a lot and have time to spare.

The cheapest thing is to get VOIP number from a provider like sipgate.co.uk

United Kingdom

My Blackberry is on Orange UK (EE) and when connected to wifi AND the GSM signal is weak or switched off, will enter UMA mode....and treat the wifi as a virtual GSM cell....this is very hand when there is weak/no GSM signal....unfortunately it only seems to work while in the UK....

That is brilliant and shows how far the business has moved from the standard restrictions.

A VPN would do it but some wifi networks block VPNs - apart from SSL ones

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

That is brilliant and shows how far the business has moved from the standard restrictions.

It is brilliant and is the main reason I haven't moved away from Orange/blackberry....

I assume you want to do this purely to save money rather than to solve indoor coverage issues.

Try BT Smarttalk App for iPhone.

Use any WiFi connection anywhere CallerID is your mobile number can access mobile phone contacts list billed to your landline account - so if already includes free weekend/evening or daytime calls then effectively free.

But with bundles of inclusive minutes now so cheap on a UK mobile, sometimes this isn't worth it, especially if you are calling mobile numbers.

Skype is also extremely good but incurs charges and may block or confuse the CallerID, and as already said their are many other options.

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

The motivation was to use the mobile phone at home, where there is almost no signal, but there is wifi.

Cost is not a problem as I get free minutes in the contract.

Clearly some sort of VOIP is the way to go, especially as it opens up calling via anybody's wifi (so long as they haven't blocked the pots).

Administrator

The motivation was to use the mobile phone at home, where there is almost no signal, but there is wifi.

UMA is made for this situation....but only Orange offer it...and not all handsets support it....I would like to know if there is a workaround to get it to work overseas....

I have done some more digging around.

It seems that the cheapest solution, which will also support the use of the phone on a wifi network away from home, is about £10/month upwards. I think I will drop that option.

There is quite a learning curve on this

Administrator

Try Vonage.

EGTK Oxford

Vonage starts at £6/month which is possibly the cheapest deal I can find, UK free calls and fairly cheap outside the UK.

Presumably they can give me the details of the SIP connection which need to be configured in the phone?

The phone appears to have VOIP built-in, apart from that. There is a "SIP config application" which presumably is used to configure the VOIP connection properties.

It's all new to me

Administrator
Sign in to add your message