Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

For those who fly with just an Ipad :) (shutdowns at high or low temperatures, and GPS losses)

Charging makes it worse, sure, but on a longer flight you have no choice but to use external power.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I suspect the vast majority do not fly 6+ hour legs so would not need external power. An X-naut case would solve the issue

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

The Ipad 5 mini battery lasts 2-3hrs.

How would that case help? It doesn’t apper to contain forced cooling.

Administrator

The I
Pad mini 5 battery with the correct display settings lasts much longer. The X-naut mount has forced ventilation

How is the fan powered? And you know the next question

This is a completely crazy solution, especially at the price.

Administrator

Power is via USB or AA batteries. A certain well known UK pilot shop not a million miles from Shoreham ,sells them and yes – the price is insane but they do work

Last Edited by Peter_Mundy at 17 Jul 13:57

Never had any problem with any of these devices.

Second that.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Sure; in a TBM, 737, A320, 787, etc, no problem.

Batteries are a ridiculous idea, so one would need to run two USB cable to this thing.

Posts moved to existing thread on same topic

Administrator

iPad mini 5 lasts about 4 hours running FF and connected to panel mounted GPS.

I only had one temp shutdown in many years and that was my mistake, leaving it on the dash while eating.

On longer trips I carry two iPads for redundancy, so far never needed the second one.

Knowing what an iPad enthusiast Peter is, I reluctantly have to agree with him on this.

I’ve had two shutdowns this year so far, both in Scandinavia. Fortunately the PA-28 has convenient floor level air vents which cool the offending device quickly. Much easier if your on your own (almost always for me, not sure why) because the device can live in the passenger footwell in the flow of the floor vent. Shutdowns happen when you bring it into sunlight, on your knee for instance.

Anecdotally, older iPads are better than new ones. Most things still run on iPad 2. Maybe the new ones use more power.

All this is VFR. It would not be a good plan for flying an approach, but I’ve had more GPS outages with 430 than iPad (all using internal GPS). Even though strictly VFR I also carry a spare IPad, charged and loaded with the route, plus another spare in the back in case one of the first two breaks (this can especially if sliding off the roof onto concrete)!

Regarding duration, I’ve flown a couple of 10hr days which is beyond the capacity of 2 IPads. In Wyoming in a 172 with no cigar lighter, but with flight following it was no stress to fly on the installed KLN 94, powering up one of the iPads occasionally to check the weather radar in ForeFlight and of course having them operating in controlled airspace. In Europe (Stockholm to UK) it was desirable to keep one running on the PA28 cigar lighter (which just about balances) with the other fully charged in reserve. No obvious shutdown behaviour due to charging, but not in sunlight either.

I also have a 430 and last resort of all, some paper maps. Oh, And a radio.

Yours, Captain Complacent.

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message