Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A few questions on Android phones

today (maybe it has to do with beeing 55 years old now) I try to focus on the solution

Same with me. I didn’t like anything Google or Apple or Microsoft or Symbian because of the way they do business, locking people into using one particular brand, or extracting personal information (Google in particular). Linux is free of all that, hence I used those Nokia Linux phones. In the end though, the value of these gadgets (to me) is what they can do and how well they do it without me having to “fix” them. I find Google do exactly what I want (phone, PC, pad, Chromecast) and it is 100% hazzle free. Still, since Linux is the core of everything, it IS possible to “root” everything. Not that I ever will do that ever again, but lots of others do. There is a way out, an escape route that no other system has. I like the idea of that, and it is supported by Google themselves. This is how things should be in my opinion.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I don’t think Google (or anyone else) is a charity. One has to look at which platform does what you need. The Apple solution does what a lot of people need but I would need to make too many sacrifices for it. Same goes for desktop operating systems; I am still on winXP because it simply works. After a week of heavy usage (video/image editing etc) it needs a reboot but what doesn’t?

Google could have locked down Android the way Apple have locked down IOS (or the way Microsoft have locked down Windows Phone) and make hacks very difficult, and break them with every new OS version, and force the new OS version onto users at regular intervals, but they haven’t bothered.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I don’t think Google (or anyone else) is a charity

No, but by using the Linux core systems they don’t have much choice but to keep it open source. The core OS itself is just hammer and nails for Google, and free for Google also.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I don’t want an IOS phone because I have used an Ipad2 and an Iphone4 and tore my hair outdoing the simplest things

Android is far easier to root (jailbreak) and then you can customise it. For example you can disable all auto updates including update nagging. Also quite a few useful apps need a rooted phone. Plus you can remove various rubbish and free up more memory. The root kit for the S6 is available already

It’s the other way around. The reason you should get an iOS phone is because it will make you stick to the simple things rather than doing things that make you loose hair. Jailbreak, customise, disable, rooted, remove, free up, rootkit.

I am glad YOU said it :-) Absolutely my opinion too. Life is too short to deal with Jailbreaks or rootkits … at least mine :-)

Life is too short to read the Guardian or Times… stories in the Sun much more to the point and bigger letters, too!

No, people with iPhones have time to read The Times. Others use that time play with operating systems, Jailbreaks and root kits :-)

What you are trying to imply is that “intelligent people” will prefer the challenges of Android and that playing with Jailbreaks and root kits is the real quality of life, while we stupid consumers deserve nothing better than iOS. Well, life is also too short for these discussions. Everyone should use what he’s happy with.

Bigger letters: Sorry about the request. I was only trying to help to improve.

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 31 May 11:36

No, what you imply is that people using Android are wasting their time while smarter people use iOS. Good that you realize that it’s a stupid discussion.

Regarding letter size / contrast etc. there is no simple and universal truth. Therefore my approach is to try to establish what benefits most from feedback I get. So it’s duly noted but I’m not yet at a point where I agree with it…

No, I don’t want to imply that, and i don’t even consider myself very intelligent or “smart”, I just use what gives me (!) the best experience. And as I said, I like beautiful hardware,

The simple truth is that I (and many guys above 50) will only use autorouter if the symbols, letters are large enough on smartphone screens. I think it is very tiring if you have to zoom in all the time. As I said: I think ((except for the flight planning map that is too small (in the PC/MAc browser) and maybe the tracking feature)) I find Autorouter superior to RR. It would be a shame to not use it because the fonts are too small.

Nobody will complain if the readability is better, right?

Thi should not be a religious debate

IMHO Apple’s implementation of the finger interface is still the best, although Android running on the latest hardware is so close it doesn’t matter.

IMHO IOS is the slickest implementation of the functionality provided by IOS. But if you want something beyond that, you hit big problems. You have 2 options:

• accept the limitations (Apple would say “work with the flow rather than against it” )
  • jailbreak IOS (various issues with that; basically you have to accept that any OS update will wipe out the functionality)
  • use Android (potentially with a jailbreak, but this is far less needed than under IOS)

One issue with Android is that it is often shipped on really crappy hardware. I have bought a 150 GBP tablet on which typed-in keystrokes would take 2 seconds to show up. It’s hard to believe that even a no-name Chinese mfg would be cynical enough to sell something like that. Today’s slick phones and tablets have loads of CPU power. The latest Android phones have 8 CPU cores (!!) running at ~2GHz. They are extremely slick.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message