Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ChatGPT discussion, and ChatGPT-generated post examples

Peter wrote:

What I find funny is that somehow the output of ChatGPT is used to generate forum posts, but any genuine / sensible reason for it eludes me.

If you don’t have anything to say, then don’t say it is a good thing to remember. I guess ChatGPT solves that problem as well I have read/seen how it supposedly works. The best illustration is perhaps like a a politician who has no clue whatsoever what he is talking about, but still manages to speak coherent and fluid about most stuff, because he knows intuitively what people expect to hear. More like some old women in a tea party IMO. Conceptually it is rather interesting, because it shows how far you can get without a single logical thought, and instead simply say what is expected based on experience.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Yes – exactly. It’s amazing how far you can get towards the Turing Test without any “world model” – the requirement that’s been eluding AI researchers since the 1960s and is not really anywhere near to being solved.

BTW I meant this thread as a general discussion of ChatGPT – no specific topic It’s worth discussing because it is one of the things which looks like it might affect many of us in the future.

We won’t see ChatGPT posts here on EuroGA because hopefully nobody will get through the present manual approval process for new signups. It was introduced some years ago due to a high % of malicious signups, as well as some jokers who were pilots and kept coming back under new IDs. The downside is a bit of work for me, plus a possible delay on approving a new member.

Roznet – interesting too. I might try it sometime. I doubt it would work for what I do however (embedded, C, etc) because anything complex is incredibly complex (a TCP/IP stack for example, and interfacing it to a hardware ETH subsystem), and if it doesn’t work I have practically no hope of finding why, and everything else embedded I can write myself, and completely different stuff (e.g. client javascript for file transfers; I have no clue about JS) I pay someone $100 on freelancer.com…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I doubt it would work for what I do however (embedded, C, etc) because anything complex is incredibly complex (a TCP/IP stack for example, and interfacing it to a hardware ETH subsystem), and if it doesn’t work I have practically no hope of finding why, and everything else embedded I can write myself,

100% the use case you mention wouldn’t work.

and completely different stuff (e.g. client javascript for file transfers; I have no clue about JS) I pay someone $100 on freelancer.com…

Yes, I think that’s the use case that is at risk. Right now you still need to spend time and know programming to achieve the result using chatgpt, but it feels getting close.
One interesting point though in my example, while using chatGPT to build the POC app, I find it near useless once it’s built to help add enhancement. For example: add customised color from the boarding pass. Because the context of chatGPT is way too small, so it feels more work to break it down for it to help as it impacts too many component (web server, swift code etc). That said I think if you extrapolate how chatgpt can add code for new feature that are more self contained, I think the $100 freelancer approach may be endangered soon.

One other aspect that surprised me, on the same example, chatgpt was surprisingly helpful in helping debug some issue by pasting error and the code around where the issue was. Again, this is in a case of code in framework/language I wasn’t very familiar with to begin with, not to say it would compete with an expert in his field…

EGTF, United Kingdom

And about using ChatGPT for writing forum post or text, I find it extremely useful as a “editor”. Not necessarily to generate the original thought, but it lets you write your points, ideas quickly and then make them in the right form.

Again in my example of the iPhone app POC, I used it to generate the readme, App Store description, help pages, etc. I would just list all the point I want and ask it to edit it for a “GitHub readme” or a “legal sounding disclaimer with humor”, etc. It added a few original thought to my original point which I thought where actually pretty funny, like in the Sample Boarding Pass disclaimer, in 3 “the ancient art of…” that wasn’t me! There are actually quite a few “add” from chatgpt, my original were much much more succinct…

I think that’s a legitimate and valid use.

Last Edited by roznet at 29 May 14:59
EGTF, United Kingdom

roznet wrote:

And about using ChatGPT for writing forum post or text, I find it extremely useful as a “editor”. Not necessarily to generate the original thought, but it lets you write your points, ideas quickly and then make them in the right form.

Again in my example of the iPhone app POC, I used it to generate the readme, App Store description, help pages, etc. I would just list all the point I want and ask it to edit it for a “GitHub readme” or a “legal sounding disclaimer with humor”, etc. It added a few original thought to my original point which I thought where actually pretty funny, like in the Sample Boarding Pass disclaimer, in 3 “the ancient art of…” that wasn’t me! There are actually quite a few “add” from chatgpt, my original were much much more succinct…

I think that’s a legitimate and valid use.

And as an example, here is adlib, what chatgpt gave when I say: edit {above} for a forum post:

In my experience, deploying ChatGPT as a writing assistant for forum posts or text composition has proved immensely valuable. It functions remarkably well as a digital editor, not necessarily to conceive original concepts, but to refine and structure my preliminary thoughts and ideas. This allows me to rapidly jot down my points and then shape them into a coherent and effective format.

Take, for instance, my recent experience developing a proof-of-concept for an iPhone app. I harnessed the power of ChatGPT to compose the readme file, the App Store description, help pages, and more. My approach was simple: jot down all the necessary points and then request ChatGPT to rework them into a GitHub readme or a legal disclaimer interspersed with humor.

The result exceeded my expectations. ChatGPT contributed several unique ideas that enhanced my original points, bringing in a touch of humor and surprise. A notable instance was in the Sample Boarding Pass disclaimer, where in point 3, it creatively coined “the ancient art of…”, which was entirely the AI’s contribution! There were several such “additions” from ChatGPT, which enriched my original, somewhat succinct ideas.

In my view, this is an entirely valid and efficacious use of AI technology in writing. It’s a perfect fusion of human creativity and AI efficiency, enhancing the writing process while retaining the personal touch.

Last Edited by roznet at 29 May 15:07
EGTF, United Kingdom

I’ve used it for some coding. The code it provided didn’t work without some corrections.

And I found anything beyond a function started to give serious limitations.

However what I found it very useful for was getting customised examples for something that you don’t know how to do. As a programmer you often look for examples of what you are trying to do, and the examples won’t be exactly what you’re trying to do. So aren’t always very helpful.

But ChatGPT can give you an example that is exactly what you’re trying to do, so you can learn the bits you need much easier.

For example it was able to give me some example code to format some output that I was preparing to do manually in code. Turns out that there was already a function that I could call to do it. Saved me lots of time.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

In the realm of EuroGA, a figure stands tall,
An administrator named Peter, loved by all.
With knowledge vast and a heart so kind,
He guides the community with a gentle mind.

In the forums he dwells, a beacon of light,
Bringing order and wisdom, shining so bright.
His words, a lighthouse for pilots to see,
Navigating the skies of aviation with glee.

With patience and grace, he moderates the flow,
Encouraging camaraderie wherever we go.
Through challenges faced, he remains steadfast,
Ensuring harmony, both present and past.

Peter, the administrator, a leader so fair,
Resolving disputes with a gentle care.
He fosters a space where ideas can grow,
Nurturing discussions with a friendly glow.

So let us raise our voices, with gratitude profound,
For Peter’s dedication that knows no bound.
In EuroGA’s world, he’s an irreplaceable gem,
Our trusted guide, a true aviation emblem.

Yours cincerely
ChatGPT

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

OMG… that is a standard ChatGPT poem. With the right input it would do the same about Joseph Stalin.

I’ve heard it before in the EuroGA version, so it must come from some formula. Truly cringeworthy

Administrator
ESME, ESMS

Bloody hell… amazing what can be done with just text trawling and manipulation.

With some custom code this could put all the corporate BS generators out of business.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message