Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

NEED HELP: EuroGA under attack

Peter wrote:

Well, we sort of have but they were pretending to be not in Russia

How interesting. I wonder who!

(as in, I think I know but further comment not required).

Last Edited by kwlf at 20 Apr 12:23

Keep in mind the reason for the attacks is to get usernames and passwords of the accounts on the systems, which can be used to attack other systems. If you use the same username/email address/password on EuroGA and other sites, you are putting yourself at unnecessary risk.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

No captcha and no message(s). Just can access the site (as a reader/lurker) or login as a user without any captcha or message.
If it helps: Tested on Chrome in an incognito window on a MacBook.

EHLE (Lelystad - NL), Netherlands

Keep in mind the reason for the attacks is to get usernames and passwords of the accounts on the systems

That won’t work on EuroGA because we absolutely do not store passwords, only hashes.

Also there is no evidence of any penetration, ever.

No captcha and no message

It is set to a low level now. I don’t think it made any difference except that, on a quick check, the growth in the server size slows down to 0.5MB/minute if I set the maximum captcha level.

a crawler that’s perhaps not parsing robots.txt but identifies itself with a useful user agent string nonetheless rather than masquerading as a desktop browser

Yeah; this is above my pay grade. I know that one can block rapid traffic easily in any decent firewall, but if you are getting hit say every 5 secs (which was the frequency on the airports site, before I blocked China and Russia) that is a lot harder.

The hidden google recaptcha is very good though; we have that in certain places but not on EuroGA generally.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

That won’t work on EuroGA because we absolutely do not store passwords, only hashes.

Give me your hashes and I’ll give you the clear text passwords. :)

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

I’ll be happy to help. 15+ years of experience working in tech (web development, servers), however not really into Ruby on Rails. But I think the problem is more related to the configuration of the server rather than the programming part.

LRPW, LRBS, Romania

Peter wrote:

That’s a dangerous assumption to make.

Firstly – how good are the hashes, and are they salted? If you’re using MD5 hashes, these are absolutely insecure. If they are using the MySQL password hashing function (which may have been improved these days so this may no longer be a factor for new password databases), then they are absolutely insecure. If the hashes are unsalted, even if the algorithm is good, this makes it trivial for the attacker who has stolen your user database to get all the passwords (see “rainbow tables”).

Then there’s how good the passwords are themselves. Short passwords are easy to brute force even when a good hashing algorithm and salts are used, dictionary based passwords (and close dictionary, such as using common substitutions, e.g. “p@ssw0rd” for “password”) are very easy to break. Once the attacker has your user database, all they have to do is run a dictionary of passwords against the hashes until matches are found, and this is a task that is embarrassingly parallelizable (in other words, if you also have a bunch of compromised home PCs in a botnet, they can be put to work).

They can then use the emails and cracked passwords in credential stuffing attacks.

Sites with good salted hashes can prevent against some of this by for example having a dictionary of known compromised passwords, and not allowing users to choose these as a password, and having minimum password length rules.

Last Edited by alioth at 21 Apr 11:49
Andreas IOM

alioth wrote:

That’s a dangerous assumption to make.

Could not agree more.

Here’s what the bad guys do – they get a copy of your username and password database – these usernames are very often the user’s email address. 99.9999% of people use the same email address for all their accounts, and according to several credible sources, over 60% reuse the password. https://www.enzoic.com/blog/8-stats-on-password-reuse/

This means that the bad guys have a list of 1000 usernames and well-hashed passwords, they will probably crack about 10% of those, and about 60+% of those can be used to log into their facebook, gmail, and other systems. Once on these systems, they can find other places to hack.

Anyone who underestimates these bad guys does so at their peril. They are very persistent, intelligent, have good tools, and do this 8-10 hours a day. They only have to win once, and you have lost (all?) your money. You have to successfully defend against them 100s of times a day.

Last Edited by eurogaguest1980 at 21 Apr 12:03
Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

Guys, this is another thread off the rails.

No I am not going to give you the hash file why should anyone do that? Hashes can potentially be reversed.

The subject is a bot or similar attack. It has been sorted for a while with a bigger server, which would have been needed anyway sometime this year due to forum growth.

EDIT: there is a newly enabled bot filter which may well work, and much more server space so files can swell before they are auto-trimmed.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
29 Posts
Sign in to add your message