Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Voiceflight - voice entry of flight plans

No, to the contrary. I'm dealing with Eurocontrol at the moment and I have never seen an organization using so many acronyms in their communication. As long time member of the AAAAA (American Association Against Acronym Abuse), I'm having a hard time following this

I hope to have access to the B2B XML interface soon and once available the CACD data in AIXM 5.1 as part of NM 17.5.

Okay so I don't have to put on my skydive equipment good anyway the core data in europe is still in AIXM4.5 it will be available in AIXM5.1 for download.

To get back on the subject

I would find it fantastic if a similar idea could be found like voice flight but tailored to European needs validate your FPL through a smart phone link it to a bluetooth device and pump it in a GNS430/530 or similar device (that doesn't exist now..)...

EBST

There was me thinking I was the anorak around here

I am still on HTML, Dreamweaver v4...

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

well I am in the clouds dreaming also I think....political reality however brings me back to my feet quite often

EBST

... EAD client and sign a Data User agreement (depending on your commercial interest)...

What is the current going rate for such an agreement?

Biggin Hill

I've been asking questions on a US site and this is the current reply

As of yet, we have not established any VoiceFlight dealers over in Europe. Before selling any units over there, we would want to make sure that they could be properly supported by knowledgeable dealers.

There are two obstacles to accumulating a enough European customers to establish a viable dealer network. One is the lack of the European certifications, and the other is the cost of the VFS101 Navigation updates that would be required.

Quite frankly, at the moment, we are scrambling just to keep inventory on the shelves and filling the dealer orders. But when the dust settles, our first step in this area will be to obtain the Canadian certifications and expand our dealer network to the North. After that, we will take a look at other locales.

which suggests a lack of understanding of aircraft certification; specifically that the world is full of N-regs...

The questions regarding the $25/month, whether one can update the database less often, etc, were left unanswered.

Administrator

The installation manual section 6.7 says that if the databases don't match, there will be a warning when you enter a flight plan and some waypoints might not work correctly.

OK; that's outrageous. That means one has to keep both updated, or keep both equally out of date.

It also suggests that they had a problem reverse engineering the "both units need the same database version to crossfill" feature. That is actually really interesting. It might indicate that one unit transmits a hash of the database version to the other unit, and VF could not emulate that.

Otherwise, why the hell can't one just spell the waypoints - as the video shows?

There must be more to this crossfill protocol than meets the eye. It probably isn't a simple case of sending a list of waypoints.

Administrator

OK; that's outrageous.

No, it's logical. How could it guarantee correct functioning with an outdated database? The best it can do is warn you about the mismatch and still let you continue. This is exactly what the product does according to the installation manual.

It also suggests that they had a problem reverse engineering the "both units need the same database version to crossfill" feature.

Where did you get that? The manual states that a VF with a database older than the GNS will work but of course cannot be guaranteed to work 100% due to database differences.

There must be more to this crossfill protocol than meets the eye. It probably isn't a simple case of sending a list of waypoints.

More likely, as with the XML flight plan format, the GNS needs coordinates together with the waypoint name. If those coordinates don't exactly match what it has in the database, you end up with a locked waypoint in the flight plan. While this works, it's a bit of a nuisance.

LSZK, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message