Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Visiting Mallorca - Son Bonet LESB

Thank you very much Aart. I have printed out the local skydemon VFR chart and added notations for all your points. Extremely useful.

Paul

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

Dream destination! We want a travel report!

ESOW, Sweden

I always remember Mallorca for its two airports: one with avgas and no customs, and the other with customs and no avgas Whenever I tell people about this, they fall over backwards laughing. But of course a real plane doesn’t burn avgas!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Very well explained by @aart as usual!

I am based at LESB. On arrival I typically file IFR all the way to someplace well within PMI TMA so ATC will expect me to continue IFR into the TMA. Typically MJV, POS or CDP depending where from. Kenas is on the edge and may drive an expectation that you will cancel before contacting PMI/leaving Barcelona. Then I will cancel depending on wx once I have a clear path. Beware some ATCO’s have a tendency to cancel for you. Dont let them do that, simply say you will be ready to cancel once visual and tell then you would like to continue IFR to POS , typically 5000ft (or some other convenient point).

With low cloud, this time of the year ILS or LPV 24R is usually not a problem. Most of the commercial traffic will be landing on 24L (and 24R is used for deps) Try that in summer and expect 30 mins hold at POS! Just make sure to indicate both on App frq and TWR freq that you do not intend to land at LEPA but break to Son Bonet. Breaking before threshold facilitates departing traffic at LEPA too.

Otherwise , since you are already aware of terrain along the north coast, you have to find a way over, along (Soller , or Valldemossa N as @aart sais, but you need ceiling above 3000ft for comfort in the mountains there) or around it. Just bear in mind VFR is supposed to be 1000AGL over the island…above is class A.

Beware restricted fuel and aerodrome op hours too.

Have a good flight and PM me if staying for some time and you need anything incl hangar.

Last Edited by Antonio at 17 Nov 22:47
Antonio
LESB, Spain

Oh, when coming to LESB from LEPA after the approach, @aart is right that you are not supposed to do circuit south of LESB, so you have to cross to the live side North of LESB.

I do find crossing overhead LESB the safest to enter the North traffic pattern when coming from the South. Just make sure you are listening in on LESB frequency before leaving LEPA twr since things will happen in literally one minute after that and you need to know who is in the LESB circuit and where.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

If not doing the ILS, for your route , Andratx and Magaluf are challenging (and long) in wx due to terrain and LE (P) 143..

Just do as @aart sais…North of the mountains then cross South at Soller or Valldemossa to NN or else South of and parallel to the mountains from POS to NN

Antonio
LESB, Spain

If RWY 06 is in use at LEPA and you want ILS then you will need to do ILS or LPV to 06L together with the rest of the commercial traffic, longer but also not a problem. In that case they’ll typically vector you to ADX or MJV, then break N to Son Bonet as on 24R

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Thanks again guys. I have printed out all the advice.

Unfortunately the trip is delayed for a week or two due to an emergency we have to attend to in Switzerland. But we will get to Mallorca soon.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

I intend to fly TB 20 from Berlin to Son Bonet (Mallorca) in April.
Would appreciate if anyone is familiar with the spot and has the most up to date information.
Thomas

Berlin, Germany

Hi Thomas! Not much has changed.

Frequencies over the island a bit weird:

Palma Approach (freq depending on sector) will give you traffic advisories all the way to the LESB circuit
Locals use 123.5 for air-air coordination on the island outside circuits
LESB circuit and vicinity use 122.705 as published
In the vicinity of LEIS use 130.775 or else remain clear of them.

Perhaps not mentioned before you can use train for gnd transport LESB-Palma downtown via the Pont-dInca-Nou station with time tables herein

Landing and parking will be cheap except Jul and Aug

Last Edited by Antonio at 07 Mar 18:40
Antonio
LESB, Spain
Sign in to add your message