Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

VFR into IMC article

It was with an instructor and it was unexpected. Nobody was trying to make a point but it was a lesson nonetheless.

ESME, ESMS

It is interesting because it demonstrates how easily it can happen. Personally I stick to the old Norwegian planning minima that were something like 2000 ft ceiling and 8 km visibility. If the weather forecast is below that I ain’t going on a VFR NAV. I will do a relatively short hop in 1000 ft and 5 km visibility.

LFPT, LFPN

Some of the (very few) lucky ones …

LGMG Megara, Greece

petakas wrote:

Some of the (very few) lucky ones …

“Why are those goats grazing clouds?”

ESME, ESMS

Holy cow! They were really lucky. And given the long arm on the wing, there must have been some structural damage to the airplane and some buckled skin on the fuselage, no?

In such case the only way to go is UP as a rocket.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 30 Oct 14:06
LFPT, LFPN

there must have been some structural damage to the airplane and some buckled skin on the fuselage, no?

Not if it is rented…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

EuroFlyer wrote:

Leaves to find out if the average single IR pilot REALLY, at least in regular periods, disconnects the autopilot in IMC

I do that regularly. I always hand-fly departures in IMC and turn on autopilot at cruise altitude or if still in IMC hand-fly some more time just for practice. Regarding the approaches, I also try to practice regularly but didn’t have much opportunity last few months to do it in real IMC – usually becoming visual 2000 ft AGL and that’s different regardless that you can pretend not to look out.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
67 Posts
Sign in to add your message