Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

VFR departure into imminent CAS and unable to raise ATC on the radio

From here

On risks of getting caught “VFR in IMC” without IFR training/equipment, what is the procedure in SR20, you climb above MSA and cruise in IMC or VMC above, if you ever LOC-I you pull the parachute?

I know one can do 180 turn around or precautionary landing (but many of those who CFIT/LOC did not do it, they scud run into hills )

This bring a question about the following situation: I once departed MVFR after a very long CTOT delay, thinking I would be able to climb through the layer (was in uncontrolled airspace in france) but for that, my understanding is you need to be in communication with ATC to switch IFR and climb in uncontrolled airspace. Unfortunately, the FIS had no one on the frequency despite multiple calls, and I suspect it was closed (during strikes, probably related to the long CTOT delay). I was unclear what the procedure was in that case, I decided to stay around 1500ft below the layer until i found the next FIS open, but that was quite uncomfortable (flat land area but still) I had mental note that if layer get lower, I would climb through, as better to file paper work than hit the ground. As soon as close the the next FIS, got in contact, they approved the switch and could climb through.

Any thought if in that case it’s better to climb through without ATC or wait (as I did). Also in restrospect, not sure if there are ways to know before departing if a FIS is open/manned?

EGTF, United Kingdom

but for that, my understanding is you need to be in communication with ATC to switch IFR and climb in uncontrolled airspace. Unfortunately, the FIS had no one on the frequency despite multiple calls, and I suspect it was closed (during strikes, probably related to the long CTOT delay). I was unclear what the procedure was in that case, I decided to stay around 1500ft below the layer until i found the next FIS open, but that was quite uncomfortable (flat land area but still) I had mental note that if layer get lower, I would climb through, as better to file paper work than hit the ground. As soon as close the the next FIS, got in contact, they approved the switch and could climb through. Any thought if in that case it’s better to climb through without ATC or wait (as I did). Also in restrospect, not sure if there are ways to know before departing if a FIS is open/manned?

I think you are overcomplicating it it’s simple: there is no requirement for radio or clearance in Golf…there is a good reason why no one answered your radio calls, you need to climb above terrain to get radio/radar reception, so climbing to cruise above MSA (and MEA/MVA) is the right thing to do, then, you have to stay outside controlled airspace, again controlled flying into airspace is never at the cost of controlled flying into terrain…

While ago, on the way to Pyrenees VFR, I got caught, once workload started to increase, on first sight of MSA warning, I set full power and Vx, once everything is stable, I told Toulousethat I will be climbing in clouds into their airspace, they need to get me clearance ASAP and they did, when flying VFR now, I tend to plan such that pop-up climb above MSA in IMC won’t put me in CAS

Last Edited by Ibra at 23 May 09:44
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I’ve had this happen in France too. Especially at weekends, the radio may be dead. You just fly, taking care of your terrain clearance, icing, etc yourself.

You cannot enter Class D non-radio.

In theory you also cannot enter Class E in IMC non-radio (because E is CAS for IFR) but nobody will know you are in actual IMC…

This stuff gets really interesting in the Alps but down there nobody cares where you are provided that a) you are broadly speaking at/below the peaks and b) don’t cross any country borders before establishing radio contact.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

In my case it was G space, and I was under the impression in france (unlike the UK), to enter IMC in G space and switch IFR I needed two way communication.

That’s good to know, thanks, more consistent w UK then.

Last Edited by roznet at 23 May 10:03
EGTF, United Kingdom

One question, if you go imc/IFR in g space in france, I guess you should change your squawk to 2000 as well, right?

EGTF, United Kingdom

You will need radio contact above 3kft amsl/1kft agl for IFR cruise in France, it’s not required for departures & arrivals…again 3) communication assumes you are 1) flying (wing level on sensible speed with pitot heat ON) and 2) navigating (know heading & clear of terrain)

There is no point talking in radio if 1) & 2) are not satisfied, in Golf, I only talk on radio once I leaned engine fuel to LOP and switched my fuel tanks…

One question, if you go imc/IFR in g space in france, I guess you should change your squawk to 2000 as well, right?

Yes you have to set 2000 during those OCAS climbs, again setting transponder code and radio frequencies OCAS is down the list behind CFIT and comes after LOP operation of your engine, cowl flaps and pitot heat…also don’t set 2000 it in Echo (above FL65 unless you are really dumb) and don’t set 2000 on departures in places where CTR reverts to Golf at 10pm (you should phone call to start your FPL on ground and get proper transponder code associated with your ModeS)

ATC sent me this while ago regarding night IFR departure on 2000 before activating my flight plan on the ground, long story short: “their systems” do not like it to match FPL/TXP irrespective if it’s VMC/IMC or VFR/IFR on your side, moral of the story: always phone call…

I called on my 1st flight and all went well, on 2nd flight, I set 2000 and departed using same frequencg, then something glitched when looking to pick up airborne…

Last Edited by Ibra at 23 May 10:54

I guess you should change your squawk to 2000 as well

Never set a TXP code which reveals you are IFR, if you have not been able to obtain an IFR clearance.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thank you!

Very useful, I will handle that situation better if it happens again next time…

EGTF, United Kingdom

@roznet you wrote that you took of MVFR what is that?
Had you deposed a flight plan and had it been validated.
Did you take off at your CTOT.
You can take off IFR on from an uncontrolled and even untowered airfield provided you follow IFR regulations. There isn’t a hybrid you are either IFR or VFR. You can of course set a time and place in your flight plan at which you want to start your IFR flight. Then you have to remain VFR until you can activate. If yours is an IFPL you are expected to adhere to your EOBT unless you have a CTOT which takes precedence.
Secondly if there is no SID you are expected to have investigated possible obstacles on your take off route and it is at your risk.
You are expected to get 2 way communication ASAP after take off with your nearest ATS. That is usually possible at around the 2000’ point however as has already been said in IFR above 3000ft VMC or IMC you are expected to maintain 2 way communication if possible.
To enter CAS, again as has already been written you need to have activated your FPL.
This can usually be done on first contact, although an SIV may well give you a “contact different frequency” which will tell you when they have you on radar and give you a clearance.
Alternatively you can telephone the ATC ypu are going to deal with or the one suggested in the charts possiblly under the one as to where to obtain local QNH to activate your IFPL.
In this case they will probably given an initial clearance into CAS if it is theirs or give you an IFR waypoint and a contact after take off plus a teansponder code. They will be expecting you and give you further clearance.
As for a transponder code without a telephone call some put 7000 others 2000 and nowadays people also leave itbon 1000. As you will be mode S nobody seems that bothered and try as I might I have yet to get a definitîve answer.
Personally I always try to make 2 way contact ASAP. I like to know what’s going on around me and what clearance I’m going to get as soon as I can. But that’s personal preference.
Remember until you have made your initial contact, got an IFR clearance as well as CAS you will not be able to enter “R” zones. Sooner or later unless you are going from one uncontrolled airfield to another in class G, sooner or later you will want to enter CAS and the better your 2 way communication, the easier this will be.

France

While ago in Spain, I tried calling Seville to get clearance and climb into their airspace, even at base of their airspace, I could not call/receive them, however, I did hear airliners talking to them and managed to get Lufthansa to relay request for VFR climb clearance (someone else stated ’we are busy flying procedure’, it did make me wonder how good they are in multi-tasking)

I only managed to speak to ATC when 1500ft inside their airspace, they got me radar right after, it was sunny weather…I imagine flying that valley with cloud, terrain and airspace to be fun? can something like this happen in Croatia?

In Alps, radio coverage is enhanced by few masts all over the place…

20 Posts
Sign in to add your message