Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK GAR form discussion, and UK border police procedures

I think that warning just says they won't send it correctly for a ZZZZ UK airfield - which is pretty obvious because, let's face it, how likely is it that somebody is going to spend vast amounts of time on the code to implement that, and it would be impossible to do in software if somebody used a place name like a farm strip near Upper Warlingham.

And if people used lat/long, it would still tend to fail unless the developer carefully implemented a circle around the specified point.

They are prob99 using just a lookup table from ICAO codes to the relevant police force.

The online site isn't going to copy the GAR to any airfield outside the UK mainland i.e. Ireland, IOM, CI, or any other country whatsoever.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Like I said Andreas is in the database.

EGTK Oxford

Jason, have you figured out how to store the required details for a given contact in the ipad/iPhone contacts? Also, in the help it says if you enter the long machine readable code all relevant details will self - populate the gar fields...not my experience...but then I'm not sure whether to include the < symbols or not

[edit - sorry I'm talking about theAOPA App]

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Like I said Andreas is in the database.

Which database ?

Andreas is not UK mainland.

Nothing is going to get sent there by any UK GAR system.

Administrator

NEW GAR regulation?

It seems to be a new regulation in place. What happened to the designated airfields? From August 22nd on as per AOPA web site.

HMRC

United Kingdom

So, this suggests that all UK airfields now have "Customs" but the price to be paid is that a GAR is needed at every one of them.

Since emailing the GAR is usually trivial, the question becomes: what will be the notice periods?

The advantage of the Designated airports was that you didn't need a notice (or the GAR).

Administrator

I am not sure if I have misread something and am mistaken, but its suggesting that all aircraft departing have to notify the Channel Islands no later than 12 hours (thats fine, thats what we do now anyhow), but "any other eventual destination", no later than 24 hours.

AFAIK, the notification to any other destination is done via a flight plan, but (for VFR) at least, you can actually file that in the air so I am not aware of any requirement to give any notice when flying from the UK to anywhere in Europe, other than a flight plan for search and rescue and procedural purposes.

From the AOPA UK website:

On 21 May 2013 new Commissioners' Directions were signed off by HMRC imposing new notice periods for submission of the General Aviation Report.

However the Directions were not actually published until 22 August. Three months and one day later. The new Directions require the following notice periods.

Outbound to EU - no notice required, Outbound to the Channel Isles 12 Hrs before departure, outbound elsewhere 24 Hrs before departure.
Inbound from EU - 4 Hrs before arrival, Channel Isles 12 Hrs, elsewhere 24 Hrs

No distinction is made in the case of Designated Ports.

I think leaving the UK from a non-Des airport has always required a GAR, hasn't it?

It also suggests that Ireland (N and S) and the IOM are now 24hrs PNR. Also flying to Norway or Switzerland is 24hrs PNR. That's really stupid. I can't see a business jet customer having to wait for 24hrs to leave the UK for say Switzerland. This has to be a cockup.

Administrator

It also suggests that Ireland (N and S) and the IOM are now 24hrs PNR

Not Ireland (N and S) because both are in the EU.

However I think the CTA's TACT-2000 requirement of 12-hours advance notice will still apply.

The 24hr requirement to/from Norway and Switzerland previously existed, but you were able to go via a UK HMRC/UKBA designated airport to get an exemption. And many biz jets operate in and out of these.

The 24hr requirement for the IOM is an oversight in the drafting of the legislation.

Is the IOM 12 or 24hrs?

Administrator
Sign in to add your message