Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Twin Comanche F-BPIR lands in an urban area (approaching LFPN)

What makes the news here is a Twin Comanche from an ATO which supposedly had engine issues during approach on RWY25 at LFPN and landed in a city.
Fortunately, noone was hurt on the ground and the crew of 3 (1 FI and 2 students) are injured.

ASN entry
GA media article
Flightpath :

The FI is the founder of a famous LFPN ATO, coming back from a routine IFR training flight to Rouen LFOP and back.
He is 82 and still flying !
The same guy forgot to lower the gear of his TB20 while landing at LFPT a few years ago.
Apart from that, I don’t know anything about him or his ATO.

I doubt both engines failed at the same time but who knows ?

LFOU, France

Wow, what a fortunate outcome, gues it would have been dark by then. Hope they all make a full recovery.

Last Edited by Bobo at 05 Dec 09:52
EHTE, Netherlands

Jujupilote wrote:

I doubt both engines failed at the same time but who knows ?

Remember that the second engine is just helping to choose where to crash on the twincom.
Indeed 82 is impressive, and crash-landing a plane in a city is also very impressive. The twincom not being a slow plane, you need ot mitigate energy of the crash…

Trimaille school is well known in France, a bit dusty but still here after years.

Last Edited by greg_mp at 05 Dec 10:56
LFMD, France

Please stop this nonsense about the 2nd engine being there to take you to the scene of the crash.

France

It landed somewhere near an “Avenue Maxime-Gorki”. Also interesting name giving for a french road…

The cabin is in rather good shape while everything else is totally destroyed. Hopefully everyone will make a good recovery.

greg_mp wrote:

Remember that the second engine is just helping to choose where to crash on the twincom.

With just 3 POB on a short haul? Hardly.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 05 Dec 12:28
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

greg_mp wrote:
With just 3 POB on a short haul? Hardly.

The Twinco has an engine out ceiling of +5K Feet at gross, its a miracle anyone survived this.

EBST

5000ft single engine ceiling I would not have caused any problem here. It’s not as if they were in mountainous territory. And that 5000ft is also at maximum weight so again providing the operating engine was working properly it would not have been a problem.

France

Agree, in the Paris region OEI ceiling of 5k is plenty. Assuming, of course, that the other engine was operating normally. Should be discernible from the state of the props. As all three – luckily!! – survived we should know more pretty soon.

To add: we’re assuming an OEI situation here, could of course have been something totally different.

Last Edited by 172driver at 05 Dec 16:17

It could have been reduced power on the second engine (technical problems), or both engines having problems (like crankcase breather frozen, for example) due to poor maintenance and unnoticed until the day of the accident.
Fuel problems, that would be another. Let’s wait for the report…

EGTR

Amazing!!

The deformation of the aircraft is actually what I would expect when I look at the structure. There is a good frame around the Comanche cabin.

Found these in a post on X (former Twitter), obviously the star should show the position of the remnants of the TwinCo.

Last Edited by UdoR at 05 Dec 17:52
Germany
109 Posts
Sign in to add your message