Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Trip to Helgoland Island, EDXH

Planning to escape the summer heat to Helgoland therefore reviving this old thread. Could anyone explain me what are the practical implications of the duty free status of the island. Do I need to undergo a customs control upon departure to the island and return to EU territory?
AIP says: “Note: Helgoland is not part of the customs territory of the EU. Under customs legislation, each flight from the island is viewed as a trip from a non-EU State. Therefore, the relevant customs regulations apply to flights from Helgoland to other national and international aerodromes”

Poland

RV14 wrote:

practical implications of the duty free status of the island

Practical implications? None… booze is cheaper on the main Helgoland island.

RV14 wrote:

Do I need to undergo a customs control upon departure to the island and return to EU territory?

Come on, just fly, land, wear your hi-vis, refuel with the cheapest AvGas around, if any left (1789l right now). Then enjoy the beach or whatever (but don’t abuse on the Eiergrog ) refill on bottled liquor if so inclined, and if the meagre selections suits you. File FPL and fly home.

Coming Winter, read and learn the rest of the German and all other European AIPs by heart when safely home and enjoying that whatever you bought there

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Check TORA at EDXH. That’s what keeping me away.

Germany

UdoR wrote:

Check TORA at EDXH. That’s what keeping me away.

Isn’t it always windy in Helgoland…?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Isn’t it always windy in Helgoland…?

Always, no, but mostly. Encountered light to very light winds during my last visits.

Always good to check the actual weather on their homepage, see insert lower left. On the other hand I’m not sure I’d plan a short runway destination counting on the wind to stay on the concrete…

Not sure I mentioned this, but the biggest threat are the seagulls…

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

I went there in the Warrior years ago, mainly as a short cut from Texel to Denmark. Solo, half fuel, into wind. Broke the habit of a lifetime leaving available fuel in the pump. I’d still have left it if it had been free. T/O exactly to the book, but for some reason I can still see that sand dune at the end of the runway……

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message