Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Nantes Atlantique (LFRS)

10 Posts

I’m having major withdrawal symptoms having not flown apart from local trips since the new year. Tomorrow’s forecast looks better and the strong winds are hopefully abating!

I was thinking of a trip to Nantes for the day (from SHOREHAM EGKA). Seems customs / immigration are there all day. The airport looks pretty big … Are they ok with GA VFR visitors?

I was wondering about the mandatory handeling. Apparently the aero club can do this for you? Has anybody got recent experience and likely charges. I don’t really fancy a 100plus euro bill for a lunch trip!

Alex
Shoreham (EGKA) White Waltham (EGLM), United Kingdom

I have visited Nantes several times and used the Aeroclub. Last time was a couple of years ago so may not be up to date now. I emailed the aeroclub the day before so they had notification.

After landing request to park at the aeroclub (Juliet or Hotel) or India. The police office is at the security gate near by just to the south of the aeroclub. Leave via the police office. There is a security gate and portacabin when returning to the aircraft.

For a day trip Dinard is less busy, landing fees are in the region of euro12 and it is a short ride into town.

EGBP Kemble, United Kingdom

I think Nantes is a bit big as a daytrip airport.

EGTK Oxford

+1 for Dinard, some excellent food in town at the old port, try the restaurant of the Hotel Printania. Across the inlet of course is St. Malo, also definitely worth a visit.

Many thanks. I take your point re Dinard but have been 3 times in the last 12months! Looking for somewhere new within 1.30 flight time or so.

Alex

Hello Alex

Despite its relatively large size, Nantes Atlantiques LFRS is very GA friendly. In particular, the aéroclub tip mentioned by StevenR above avoids any handling hassle and parking fees. I also gave them (“Aéroclub de Loire Atlantique” – phone number available on VAC charts) a call the day before to check there was parking space available. Avgas is available upon request (a Shell truck comes over) and you can pay by Visa or Total card (Total and Shell seem to have some sort of agreement).

The airport is close to the city centre and you will find a cab easily. Nantes itself is definitely worth a visit when the weather’s nice.

Regards

LFNR

Aeroclub are indeed very friendly. Avoids parking and handling.

E-mail them the day before, then when you land, ask for taxi to the aeroclub. They have their own separate entrance, although you’ll then need to walk across the road and back into the main terminal building to pay.

I found it impossible to pay the landing fee at the time, they insisted on posting an invoice for it. Was about €7 if I recall correctly.

Thanks very much everyone. Didn’t quite make it today (deauville instead) but have all the plates etc and will try next time. Euroga …an aviation encyclopedia!

I can find a telephone number for the aero club (02 40 75 13 16) but no e-mail. Might also be useful to anyone else who looks at the thread if you have it?

Alex

They don’t publish their email address, but they have a web form here.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I am a muppet. Everything I wrote above was about Rennes, not Nantes – sorry!

10 Posts
Sign in to add your message