Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying in Lübeck EDHL

Hi there,

I suppose this post is somewhat targeted at @boscomantico, who seems to fly out of there quite often, but maybe others have insights, too.

I’m more or less based in Lübeck for the upcoming months – at least weekdays and potentially weekends if I decide to get an apartment. I’ll obviously want to fly and just checking the options. This is both about general flying (i.e. chartering for the occasional fun flight) and specifically about getting the night rating done.

From what I gather, I see there’s a club, which can be dismissed as I’m not going to join, and two schools, Flugschule Hohensee and FTO Nord, whereas only the latter offers charters while the previous only mentions training flights and quotes their prices including an instructor. FTO Nord has a slightly better online appearance in my view.

Now, does anyone have either any feedback on those or any other inspirations (I.e. fields a bit further afar that might be worth looking into or any other, less advertised charter opportunities in the are)?

Thanks

Patrick

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Hi Patrick,

I’m more or less based in Lübeck for the upcoming months – at least weekdays and potentially weekends if I decide to get an apartment.

OK. A pity I won’t be there for the next weeks (was there last weekend). Will be back on Christmas only.

This is both about general flying (i.e. chartering for the occasional fun flight) and specifically about getting the night rating done.

Lübeck is good for night flying. Very good opening hours, lowish fees, no PPR for night flying (even for circuits).

From what I gather, I see there’s a club, which can be dismissed as I’m not going to join, and two schools, Flugschule Hohensee and FTO Nord, whereas only the latter offers charters while the previous only mentions training flights and quotes their prices including an instructor. FTO Nord has a slightly better online appearance in my view.

The club indeed won’t be an option if you’re not a member. Hohensee is a small PPL school. The owner (and flight instructor) is a very nice gentlemen. His C172 is in the same hangar as my Cirrus. He does do renting, but of course he is more eager on instructing. Don’t know a lot about FTO Nord really. They are from Hamburg, but fly out of Lübeck.

Apart from this, there is a guy doing training and rental of ultralight (Eurostar) and motoglider (Falke) on the field. That’s about it. No other GA airport in the immediate vicinity.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 16 Oct 17:49
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
OK. A pity I won’t be there for the next weeks (was there last weekend). Will be back on Christmas only.

Ok! Let me know if you’re there anytime weekdays and up for a beer or so. I’m looking into renting an apartment in the old town from January onwards – once the Swedish visitors of the Christmas market stop occupying all the nice AirBnBs.

The club indeed won’t be an option if you’re not a member. Hohensee is a small PPL school. The owner (and flight instructor) is a very nice gentlemen. His C172 is in the same hangar as my Cirrus. He does do renting, but of course he is more eager on instructing. Don’t know a lot about FTO Nord really. They are from Hamburg, but fly out of Lübeck.

Think I’ll call them both up and have a look…

No other GA airport in the immediate vicinity.

That’s what I suspected. I’ve flown out of Uetersen sometimes last year, but that’s on the completely other side of Hamburg if coming from HL, so hardly an option.

Thanks!

It’s a pity for you that EDXT Sierksdorf does not accept E-Flieger like you fly. Might be worth a visit, though.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Don’t know what you mean. “E-Flieger” in the sense of SEPs? They do; I landed there a few weeks ago…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I do seem to have misinterpreted my source – and anyway, it is always better to have information firsthand. So much the better for @Patrick, I hope he has a good time there. Thanks for info!

From http://airports.de (which has been found to be not always up to the most recent state of things, at times):

ACFT:
2000 kg einmotorig/single-engine
Helicopter, Motorsegler (GLDP), Segelflugzeuge (GLD), Ballon, Ultraleicht (UL), Fallschirmspringer (PJE)

Last Edited by at 17 Oct 12:37
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Hah, that looks like a very cool beach-side destination, regardless of my temporary base nearby.

I like how they offer – after tasting – to reduce the landing fee if you bring cake.

Last Edited by Patrick at 17 Oct 12:47

Kaffee und Küchen, he? Enjoy!

Though @Bosco may have been right by not suggesting the place to you: as far as I can see, there is no E-Flieger for rent there, and that is your prime requirement AIU. But who knows he could again better me?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Jan_Olieslagers wrote:

Kaffee und Küchen, he? Enjoy!

That would be hard to pull off, Jan – especially with your aircraft. :-) (There are two little dots that distinguish the German word for cake from the plural of kitchen)

9 Posts
Sign in to add your message