Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Wonderful Flight 2 and meeting with Austrian Def.

Well as luck would have it, I completely forgot to pull out my camera. It was only after they left that I even thought about it.

Depart EDMA to LHTL on an IFR flight plan to VFR destination airport. The weather had been stormy the past 2 days in Munich but it had calmed down with a OVC layer from 2500’ to FL060. Everything went smoothly with the only thought going east bound I have a 4 kt tailwind as opposed to a 20 kt headwind on the way to EDMA. This always happens I thought to myself. Munich hands me off to Linz radar. For whatever reason it was busy and calling in I didnt get a response just figured they were busy at some point I would call in later when less busy to make sure they heard me. Well over Linz I tried to raise them on the freq and couldnt. So I tuned my trusty 430 to Linz approach when I found it. Called them and the freq was maybe 2/5. Sounded like he said to call Austrian air def on 121.5. What?? You want me to call Austrian def on 121.5? Yes Ok so I call then when I notice a military plane pull up 50M ahead and off my left side. Oh God now what? I paid my landing fee. So for about 1 min I tried and got nowhere on 121.5 so back to Linz which is now a 1/5 and tell him unable with the jet. He said contact Vienna. Which I did. The jet then crossed under and descended off my right wing. Thats when I thought of taking a picture.

I know they love user fees here and so I was having daymares about paying for the intercept costs. Sure enough get back home and there must have been 6 calls from Austria, Called back but the recordings were all in German. Called one off the numbers and played phone tag but finally the controller came on. He said in 25 yrs of controlling he never had Austrian Air Defense scramble a flight within 6 mins of a nordo flight. I told him, you know I was on my flight planned route no deviations or altitude changes why the response? He didnt know so I asked the Misson Kommander later, who was still in Munich. She said they probably didnt get to exercise the planes because of the weather during the G7 and had some fuel allotted to burn. Now you know why she is the Mission Kommander. The controller said because I got ahold of them within a timely manner as far as ATC was concerned the matter would be dropped. No user fee no fine? “No” he said.

All’s well that ends well.

Thinking in hyperbole, if it was the US they might have shot first and asked questions later. Be careful up there you guys.

KHTO, LHTL

If you can’t establish contact with a new frequency given to you, always go back to the previous frequency. Never just look up “another one” from the map.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 14 Jun 19:26
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Thinking in hyperbole, if it was the US they might have shot first and asked questions later.

No need to worry in Austria. Our armed forces are run on a shoestring. It’s unlikely they can afford fuel and ammunition at the same time

I told him, you know I was on my flight planned route no deviations or altitude changes why the response?

Linz is a joint civ-mil-airbase and home of the Saab 105 trainers who have a secondary air policing role, supporting the Eurofighters. Most likely they had an aircraft on the flightline and were glad to make the best of the training opportunity.

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

Bosco, I tried calling Munich but was unable to hear the controller and it was very busy so instead of a relay I did the next best thing since I was over Linz anyway.

I think they had issues with 121.5 because I stayed on Guard freq and later I heard someone try to establish contact after lots of squeals and static when the mike was keyed. I have a feeling it was Austrian defence.

KHTO, LHTL

Blue line thats very funny.

KHTO, LHTL
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message