Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Video - Valley and Back

This is a flight in an A36 Bonanza from Fairoaks to Valley (to visit son), Oxford (to collect Mountain High O2) and back to Fairoaks.

Video recorded with two Garmin Virb Elite cameras both with fitted with prop filters. Audio recorded with a Sony ICD-PX440 digital voice recorder via a 1/4" to 3.5mm plug in a spare headphone socket. All pieced together with Final Cut Pro X. This was the first time I’d used the Virbs so it’s a bit of a test of the system.

The most interesting bit is a CAT 1 ILS to minima at 1:45.

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

Nice one

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Fantastic video Chris – fantastic aircraft too!

EGBP, United Kingdom

Great video

Did the AP disconnect itself on that ILS?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Really good video and nice new panel.

If my memory serves me right in your Mali Lozinj video, that was shot with one or two Drift cameras, what made you change to the Garmin Verb Elite?

Just curious. It might help me and other interested parties in the GoPro/Garmin/Drift debate.

I’d rather be flying
United Kingdom

Thanks for the kind words. I’ll try to do the EDNY video next week.

Did the AP disconnect itself on that ILS?

Yes, I think I brushed the electric trim with my sleeve.

The Drifts are great cameras, I still use them, but they need large suction mounts in the aircraft. The Virbs have a small mount that sticks onto a smooth surface which the rest of the mount then clips on to. It’s very neat. I’ve got one mount stuck on the ceiling and another on the glareshield. (I’ve swopped the glareshield mount in the video for a low-profile version.) The camera on the ceiling is upside down but there’s a setting that inverts the image.

I’ve velcroed a Bluetooth remote controller to the panel and it controls both Virbs.

Additionally, the Virb Elite records GPS and accelerometer data which can be overlaid on the video and they’re cheap at the moment on Amazon, perhaps because the new Virb Elite XE was announced last week. The Virbs can also take a prop filter which the Drifts can’t.

Look for the Virb Elite power bundle on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KX00QN8/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1430350496&sr=1&keywords=Virb+power

Last Edited by chrisparker at 29 Apr 23:40
Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

Many thanks Chris for the insight into the Virb camera choice. The Amazon deal looks quite attractive, mmmm certainly one to think about. Look forward to seeing the EDNY video.

I’d rather be flying
United Kingdom
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message