Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Need to go to Brussels

Dear Forum Members,
I need to go to Brussels next week with our SR20 and stay for about 36h. It appears that for EBBR you need to have an handling agent. Any idea where I can find contact information ? The AIP is not very helpful on that topic.

Probably it will be quite expensive too. Antwerp might be an alternative for an IFR flight, it seems. Do you have any advice

Cheers,
FlyPPI

EDVE, Germany

These contact details are from Navbox Pro

Avgas not listed!

EBBR, last time I looked, was c. €200-300 for 1400kg. But these things can vary a lot depending on who handles you, etc. I am sure you can get handled for €600 in Brussels (resisting the obvious joke)

Antwerp is much cheaper – of the order of €60-80.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Antwerp is good, handling not mandatory (but they try to make you think it is). You can take the train. Charleroi also good, best is to take a rental car. Brussels does not have an IFR GA airport really.

Grimbergen EBGB is a possibility but is PPR, noise abatement procedure to be strictly followed.
If your stuck you can always enjoy the good abbey beer

EBST

Yes, handling is mandatory in EBBR.
You can contact: [email protected]
I asked them last 2 days ago:
Airportfees will come +/- at 253,50€ (includes parking/landing/take-off etc)
Basic Handling will come at 190€

That was for a 1270kg Commander Sunday arrival and Tuesday departure.

United Kingdom

Living nearby, I can only confirm the earlier comments. Grimbergen EBGB is very nice but is VFR only, the runway grass with the extremities hard. Its procedures, both for approach and for the circuit, must be rigidly respected. If you don’t, someone will be very hard on them so they will be very hard on you. Do not let that frighten you, though, handle it all like a big girl/boy and you’ll be ok.

If IFR is required, EBAW Antwerp should be your first option. EBCI Charleroi is not impossible, either, though. And if you wish to add a bit of tourism you could consider EBOS Ostend. If you go for Antwerp, do not forget to visit the Stampe-Vertongen museum!

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

thanks folks. We decided to go to Antwerp since their fees are much lower. Still a shame that Brussels does not have a GA airport. But then, neither do so many other European cities.

EDVE, Germany

EBCI is really inexpensive (your landing and parking will be around €30, if I remember correctly), requires no handling agent, and is generally friendly. There are direct bus connections to Brussels (every 20-30 minutes, 1 hour en route, €5 to €14), but they depart from the new airline terminal on the opposite side of the airport from the old GA terminal. If the airport people drive up to you to take copies of your aircraft documents (for billing purposes), ask them for a lift to the new terminal, or maybe you can talk Charleroi Ground into arranging someone to pick you up. Otherwise it’s about 30 minutes on foot around the airport.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

And you can buy fuel with your credit card using self service pump at EBCI, which means your turn-around times are very low. The only downside is you leave the airport via the old terminal on the south, while the rental cars are at the “Ryanair” terminal on the north side of the airport. But if you talk to the agency, you can usually arrange pick up and drop at the south terminal.

LSZK, Switzerland

Summary: there is no good way
Avgas;Landing fees;landing and parking;commute;local language
EBCI: self service with your credit card;cheap;safe; uneasy as you land south side and all the public transportation is north side uber does not go there as far as I know; French
EBAW: I don’t think it works with your BP or credit card any more, you have to find the guy who might be otherwise busy with the JET A1 truck; cheap but don’t stay 24hours without paying, they might charge you 150euros; safe; easy with taxis, buses to the station easily available, taxi to Brussels around 130euros, bus + train around 10euros; Dutch (and I’ve been bullied many times there because of my French accent when I speak English and my inability to speak Dutch, it’s so unpleasant that I don’t fly there anymore).
EBBR: no; 600 euros all in with mandatory handling (quotation on the phone 3 months ago); safe but long taxi, regulated in IFR so you must get a slot; at the general aviation terminal you can get a taxi or Uber, 20-30 mn if the traffic is normal, I don’t remember the price; Dutch but as it’s close to Brussels, they are not so touchy about it, and of course they speak English too.
EBGB: I’ve never been there, mainly because of the language issue, I’m not sure you might find a hangar space for your plane, and I don’t know if it’s safe to leave your plane overnight, as I don’t think there is any security, I don’t think that any taxi driver in Brussels has ever heard of that airfield (a personal survey over many years). NOT a port of entry from the UK
EBSG Saint Gishlain: you must ask for the key card at the tower;cheap; short but doable, PPR, if you call in advance you would normally get a hangar space, don’t leave your plane outside, there is no security there; uber does not normally get there, you can generally get a lift to the station or call a taxi (wait 20 30 mn), 2 trains to Brussels Midi an hour (40mn), if you take a taxi go to Mons station not Saint Ghislain station, there are trains more often; French. NOT a port of entry from the UK, my favorite as people there are usually very helpful and relax, unfortunately it’s not a port of entry, and the guy in the tower being generally a volunteer, you cannot demand much.

Last Edited by Piotr_Szut at 09 Apr 15:33
Paris, France
19 Posts
Sign in to add your message