Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Atlantic crossing notebook

Hi guys. In Vagar. 100kt headwinds. Tried 170, 180 and 260. Couldn’t get the range although the lower alt should have worked. Forecast was wrong.

Fuelled up, ready to go again.

EGTK Oxford

I think today the low flying pistons would be in favour:

Wind for the next leg at FL260:

And FL50:

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Jason just reached the Canadian coast. What a long trip, from Oxford to Canada in just one day!

Last Edited by Sebastian_G at 02 Apr 21:14
www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Hi guys. Well, a big day! Overall everything went well but the wind was challenging for the first two legs.

The flight to Wick was fine although we were above cloud until the Scottish border. We landed, fuelled and loaded survival equipment pretty quickly. Filed for FL180 to try to stay below the strong winds. This didn’t work and the forecast winds were wrong. As a result we decided to make an early turn into Vagar to get fuel. Making the decision early minimised the impact on overall trip time although clearly it added to it.

Passing the Forth road bridge near Edinburgh.

Approach to Vagar

THe next leg to Reykjavik was exiting as some fuel system icing led to a low fuel pressure CAS message. Now there is a bypass around the fuel filter and we put the pumps on but a low fuel pressure problem over the North Atlantic certainly focusses the mind. The fuel flow never dropped and it turned into a non event but still made for a tense couple of hours until we could check in with maintenance that all was good. Extra Prist was added on the next leg and the problem never recurred.

On the Iceland and we had a CAVOK arrival into Narsarsuaq. With a high, fast visual arrival (6000ft on downwind for a SL airport due to terrain) it was good fun and the scenery was amazing.

The final leg to Goose bay was also uneventful we were initially kept at FL180 which was OK but not very efficient for us. This was due to a Citation arriving opposite direction in the controlled airspace above. He was at FL270 and going to descend at some point but you are talking about procedural separation with no radar. Their separation standards are very wide for all aircraft but even worse for non-turbojets. Even though we saw him pass us visually it was another 20 minutes before we we cleared to FL240.

Final pic on the ramp at Goose Bay. Stopping on snow when idle is high was challenging. Needed to use beta to avoid sliding forward.

Last Edited by JasonC at 03 Apr 07:26
EGTK Oxford

Very very good photos!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Wow, great! I think i have to get to the airport … :-)

Needed to use beta to avoid sliding forward.

What is (in this context) “using beta” ?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Jan. Reversing the prop slightly so generate no forward thrust.

So some stats.

Total distance covered yesterday: 2477.26nm
Total flight time: 12.1 hours
Average GS: 204.7kts

Total trip time (wheels up oxford to down goose bay) 15.6 hours

Average stop time (4 stops): 0.875h.

Last Edited by JasonC at 03 Apr 08:52
EGTK Oxford

Hi Jason,

thanks a lot for taking us along on the trip! Wonderful pictures. Really need to figure out how to once get this experience myself.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Excellent photos. I’d love to do a trip like that someday. I’ve only seen Greenland from an airliner at 35.000 feet.

EHLE
Sign in to add your message