Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Berlin Schönefeld 30-31 August

Shamelessly copied from another forum, and freely translated:

I don’t think I’ll be going (it is rather far for my slow craft), but it looks like a nice occasion to get this field in one’s logbook.

Last Edited by at 08 Aug 13:03
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

… and in a reply on said forum, someone wondered whether DFS (the German CAA) wouldn’t be adding some en-route charges, though I wouldn’t expect that for a VFR flight.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

They sure do, even for VFR. Even microlights have to pay!!!

(Unless they waive them on that particular event, just like the airport seems to).

Last Edited by boscomantico at 08 Aug 14:03
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Aarghh! I do have been polluting the beautiful German skies with my foreigner microlight, recently, and haven’t received any DFS invoice as yet. What triggers the DFS cash register? What is its average delay?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I do have been polluting the beautiful German skies with my foreigner microlight, recently, and haven’t received any DFS invoice as yet.

You only pay a DFS charge if you land on a larger German international airports.

It however tends to be “only” a few tens of euros, no more.

I have Tempelhof in my logbook, so this isn’t quite so tempting

More seriously, it’s a crime for Berlin to not have a proper GA airport.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

More seriously, it’s a crime for Berlin to not have a proper GA airport.

Proper German cities have no GA airport. Like Munich and Berlin

United Kingdom

Lenthamen, thanks for clarification.

Peter, it is a shame indeed, but what metropolis can boast a proper G/A airport today, with affordable rates, ILS, AvGas and JetA1, public transport (bus/metro/..) and a decent restaurant?
Frankfurt/Egelsbach?
Paris? Le Bourget is there, but extremely expensive.
Brussels has EBAW not too far off and quite ok, and there’s EBCI too.
London has Biggin Hill and Luton, both expensive and unattractive, or so I learn
Amsterdam would like to boast of Lelystad
Copenhagen has Roskilde.
Zürich? Praha? Athens?

Perhaps Roma and Madrid and Barcelona are doing none to bad, with Urbe resp. Quatros Ventos resp. Sabadell?

Last Edited by at 08 Aug 14:48
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Biggin is about 30 quid but is nowhere near London… the transport is horrible.

If Redhill get their hard runway and put in an IAP (something which Biggin is opposing, predictably) that will change things, due to the train connection.

Egelsbach is VFR only.

Zurich and Prague and Athens are all OK but not cheap – in the €150-200 area.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Berlin has no economy and in order to make sure that won’t change, has closed its GA airport. If you’re serious about business, you go to Munich, Hamburg, Frankfurt, Stuttgart.

I think that trip would be worthwhile, you can see a huge and finished airport next to Schönefeld that is closed because they messed up the project.

Egelsbach is VFR only.

Only on paper. It’s called “HPA approach” and it’s an instrument approach where you have to say “I am VMC” (= I can see my propeller)…

Last Edited by achimha at 08 Aug 15:01
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message