Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Visiting Cambridge

We are planning a flight to Cambridge on Thursday, if wx permits, then back to Sweden on Sunday. I’m looking at the IFR alternates we have available, do you any suggestions?

Then, just to be certain
- GAR Report is only needed on the inbound leg? We just sent it by email to the gov.uk address.
- Cambridge is PPR but FPL is enough it seems (sounds more like PNR)
- Since we sent the GAR we don’t need to do anything else regarding customs?

We will do a fuel, food and schengen stop at EHGG.

Thanks in advance all and lets hope the weather is cooperating with us this time, last year we had to cancel due to the severe wx in southern England.

If you feel the urge to pay 3 Euros per litre and 35 Euros for a landing at EHGG, feel free to do so.

Otherwise, I suggest Leer (EDWF). Fuel is 2,31 and no landing fee (if refuelling).
I am just not sure if you can exit from Schengen at EDWF. If interested, ring them to check.

Otherwise: EDXH.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 25 May 19:04
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
I’m looking at the IFR alternates we have available, do you any suggestions?

Cranfield or Oxford but neither are particularly close.

- GAR Report is only needed on the inbound leg? We just sent it by email to the gov.uk address.

Correct re inbound. If going to Cambridge I am sure they will send the form for you if you email it to them.

- Since we sent the GAR we don’t need to do anything else regarding customs?

Correct.

EGTK Oxford

If you are arriving at Cambridge on an IFR plan, you don’t need PPR.

I’m based at Cambridge and when I fly in from abroad I usually send a copy of the GAR form to [email protected] as well as the Gov email address. It’s not unknown for the Gov email to get lost and the staff at the Aeroclub will ring through to UKBF to clear you quickly. Occasionally there is someone from UKBF at the airport but that’s quite rare and, if they are there, the process is quick and painless.

When filing an IFR alternate, I usually file Cranfield EGTC, but check their operating hours.

You might also think about joining the Cambridge Flying Group. It’s free and you get a discount on your landings. Info here:

www.cambridgeairport.com/general-aviation/general-aviation

Enjoy your visit!

EGSC

Bosco: It doesn’t seem that EDWF is an option because of the Schengen exit. EDXH is exotic and all but with a fully loaded aircraft I’d like a bit more runway available
Jason: Thanks, EGTC Cranfield seems like the best option
Jonzarno: Thanks! I’m already a member of the flying group. I got my renewed membership card 2 weeks ago or so!

Sounds like you are well prepared – here are a couple of other points from me. I’m also very happily Cambridge based.

More out of habit, I file Southend EGMC as an alternate. Southend has longer opening hours than Cambridge and has trains to London and on to Cambridge, and also hire cars. Low vis tends to be less bad and/or clear sooner at Southend than Cambridge – though that is an extremely unlikely scenario this week.

Just as a reminder, and for other readers, there is a handling charge at Cambridge if you need to exit the airport after the aeroclub has closed. In my view, still makes Cambridge good value if one needs an early or late movement but worth bearing in mind when planning.

There is radar at Cambridge, but it’s very likely that it will not be operating, so expect a procedural approach. If that’s the case, ATC will give you that UK idiosyncrasy, the “procedural service” and expect you to acknowledge.

Ah, right. I always learn something prior/during each trip. Last time it was the unexpected and unknown IFR drop that’s been discussed here in many threads, so thanks for the heads up regarding procedure service. The opening hours are OK for us.

It will be the first time both to Cambridge and Duxford for all of us I think (myself and 2 other pilot friends).. really looking forward to it.

Stansted have a contractual obligation to handle IFR arrivals and departures for Cambridge – and they do so very well. You will not be “dropped” on the way in. There is a possibility that you will be released slightly early as you leave controlled airspace in the descent but this is definitely not like being dropped to London Info. On the departure, you will be given a clearance from Cambridge to an altitude below the London TMA – almost certainly 2400’ with a left turn to BKY – and then released to Stansted for your LTMA clearance. Very smooth and simple. Stansted use “Stansted Director”, and also “Essex Radar”.

Alan’s explanation of Stansted handling departures and arrivals reminds me that one potential “gotcha” to be aware of is that the plates for STARS for Cambridge are found under Stansted and not Cambridge.

EGSC

Depends whether you are using Jepp or not. Jepp have them under both.

EGTK Oxford
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message