Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EDGE - Eisenach-Kindel

Anyone been there? Going Thursday to continue to collect my set of random German Flugplatz!

Not exactly helpful on the phone….

EGTK Oxford

I was there last summer, though driving, not flying. It looked like just another field that tries hard to be economically viable, there’s many like that in Germany. Can’t be sure how well they succeed. Well organised, all facilities available, even a cafe/bar which is rumoured to have a new management since early this year. The menu actually looks nice, though limited, and is certainly very affordable.

I reckon you already found the website? If not: www.flugplatz-eisenach.de

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Many, many moons ago.

Former Russian army airfield, hence the, although in the meantime shortened, still rather long runway with 1.700m.

The guys on the tower get rather mixed reviews on eddh.de but the restaurant seems to be good. When I was there they were serving local specialities which were rather nice if you like that type of German food (Thueringer Bratwurst).

RXH
EDML - Landshut, Munich / Bavaria

I got (when asking if they need to notify Customs or the police that we were departing to the UK), “surely you know that the UK is part of Europe?”

Anyway will report back.

Last Edited by JasonC at 11 Mar 22:09
EGTK Oxford

Funny you should mention the Thüringer Bratwurst, I recently saw a rather bizarre forum thread:

http://www.ulforum.de/ultraleicht/forum/1_allgemeines-und-aktuelles/4222_flugplatzrestaurant-eisenach/suche_eisenach.html

Die spinnen, diese Ultraleichtflieger…

BTW Jason, if you want an alternate not too far away I can certainly recommend Jena EDBJ.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Thanks Jan, try the Google translate version of that thread!!

Good idea on the alternate but given my meeting is within 500m of the airport, my alternate will be Oxford! If I can’t get in I am going home.

EGTK Oxford

Been there a few times as this was my usual alternate for many flights to Bad Hersfeld which can not be reached in certain wind situations. Big runway, no IFR approaches, low fees. Getting customs is close to impossible. You have to apply several days in advance, customs wants to show up in any case and wanted to charge much for their trip. In the end on a flight to Switzerland I did a customs stop elsewhere. But from UK you only need border police service which might be easier to get.
If you change your mind the alternate is Erfurt which has got an ILS and can be reached by car from Eisenach quite fast. Also expect the MRVA to be rather high in this area, maybe 5000ft. There are some hills around, especially in the south so care is needed when flying in bad weather.

Finally I had a very funny drink in that restaurant. While I drank a guy showed up who had been flying in on a rented King Air to impress his Eisenach business partners. He was trying to sell them strange gold backed finance products. It was like great comedy only that those locals seemed to be actually wiling to buy shares in this Ponsi scheme…

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message