Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Red Bull Air Race in Rovinj (April 12th-13t)

I know that many of us will be flying to Croatia at the end of May , but …

… the Red Bull Air Race takes place in Rovinj on April 12th to 13th. Vrsar aerordrome (LDPV, 700 m concrete) is only a few kilometres away. I consider flying down there for the event and sent them an email concerning fuel, parking and so on. Perhaps somebody wants to come along?

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

I’ll probably come but I’m not sure about LDPV availability for visitors. I guess it will be reserved for the Red Bull aircrafts – the alternate for them is Pula LDPL, some 40 miles south east – maybe they’ll use it instead of LDPV. I’ll check and post here.

Last Edited by Emir at 28 Feb 08:11
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

The Vrsar aeroclub sent me a one-liner that they will reply with detailed information before March 15th …

If you need accommodation while in Rovinj on air race contact us.. we have apps in Pula… visit us and find out more :) https://www.facebook.com/MDtraveltouristagency

I am thinking to go to Pula for the race. Should you hear from Vrsar I’d be interested but having looked at their field information I don’t think a direct flight from/to Germany is viable. Pula is not 40 miles away but about 15 miles from Rovinj..

EDLN and EDKB

I don’t think a direct flight from/to Germany is viable

Yes, that seems to be the case…effects of joining the EU .

Last year, there was a NOTAM for Vrsar:

B0254/13 NOTAMN
Q) LDZO/QFZAU/IV/NBO/A /000/999/4509N01338E005
A) LDPV B) 1308231326 C) 1310262359
E) CUSTOMS/IMMIGRATION AND PASSPORT CONTROL NOT AVBL.
AD AVBL FOR DOMESTIC TFC ONLY.
CREATED: 23 Aug 2013 13:26:00
SOURCE: EUECYIYN

Right now, I can’t find any, but there is IMHO something strange going on with croatian NOTAM publications for the minor airfields. I just enquired with Croatia Control.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 13 Mar 10:08
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I am thinking to go to Pula for the race.

I did not receive any more info from the Vrsar aeroclub until now.

I don’t know whether I go if Pula is the only option. The transfer will be much longer, but I just intend to fly down there in the morning, watch the race for a few hours and fly back in the evening.

I was at Vrsar (LDPV) last Saturday and checked with airport manager:

1. the airport will be opened for GA landing until Friday 11th afternoon
  2. maybe they’ll allow landing on Saturday early in the morning (to be confirmed)
  3. border police will be there
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Just for those who are interested: I recently had a brief exchange with AIS Croatia (by the way, totally helpful; one simply writes an email with a question and they come back on the same day, with a helpful and competent reply).

Basically, information regarding the small airports in Croatia (including Vrsar LDPV) is not published in the AIP; it is published only in a separate “VFR Manual” which is not available on-line and which is not free of charge (that’s the bad news; they basically joined Germany and Switzerland in excluding such information from the “main” AIP and make some money out of it…). So, one basically has to get the VFR Manual (to be ordered from the Croatia Control) or get the Jeppesen (Jepp basically does nothing else than copy the information from the VFR Manual into their own format).

Additionally, the slightly more short-term information about things that tend to vary with time (such as changed opening hours, airport closures, customs availability) are often not published through NOTAMs, but through VFR SUPs to the AIP. The bad news: these are again not available online (for example from EAD; only the IFR SUPs are available there) and have to be sourced through Croatia Control. One can however receive them on request, free of charge, via email from them.

I’ll take the freedom and copy an excerpt from the AIP SUP currently in force (11/2013) for Vrsar (LDPV) airfield:

Validity: 12 DEC 13 – 29 MAR 14
1. AD Vrsar/Crljenka is available as follows:
• for domestic traffic: daily 0700-SS
• for traffic to/from the European Union
member States within the Schengen area:
daily 0800-SS only upon 24HR PPR via:
fax: +385 52 441354
e-mail: [email protected] or
phone: +385 52 441144
• for Aeroklub Vrsar, police, military and
Agrokor in domestic traffic: SR-SS

So, first of all, this SUPs ends shortly and there will be a new one in force in April.
However, the current sitation is that one could fly to Vrsar direct form countries like Germany, Austria, Italy and Slovenia etc. if PPR is given with 24h notice. One could not however do this from the UK or Switzerland.

Any eventual airport restrictions due to the airshow event may additionally apply and would be published by NOTAM and/or possibly by AIC.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 17 Mar 14:25
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Hi,

Vrsar aerodrome just sent out their communication:

Quote:

“Dear pilots, aviation fans and friends,

We have the honor to inform you that the second Red Bull Air Race for the year 2014 will be held on the city of Rovinj, Croatia, at 12th and 13th of April 2014. Red Bull base, and departure / landing airport would be on „Vrsar“Airport, which will host the full Red Bull organization, logistic and racing team.

With pride we can underline the great support of ADRIS Group, County of Istria, cities of Rovinj and Vrsar in sponsoring the greatest world air show to be held in Republic of Croatia.

We too have to thanks for sponsoring help to Aero club „Vrsar“in hosting the pilots, mechanics and logistic items of Red Bull, to Maistra – Rovinj, Community of city of Vrsar, Gavrilovic – Petrinja, Crodux – Zagreb, Istria Credit Bank – Umag, International Airports of Zagreb, Dubrovnik, Split and Zadar, and a soccer club Dinamo – Zabreb, as well as a lot of minor other contributors.

As the problem of accommodation for such as many visitors is arising, the Aero club „Vrsar“ had made reservations in some of hotels of Maistra, Rovinj and Vrsar, as well as at hotel Vista, Vrsar, with price of 38 € pro person / night, and apartments and private accommodation with price of 30 € pro person. For the spectators from Vrsar will bi organized a boat trip to Rovinj for watching the race from the boat on Saturday, April 12 (qualification race) and Sunday, April 13 (final race).

Reservations could be booked via E-mail: [email protected]

For eventual incoming to airport Vrsar by plane, there will be restricted places for parking and aircraft stay. The eventually procedure, or even a temporary closure u the airport, will be announced by Notam, and the given info could be seen on Facebook, aeroklubvrsar. The closest international airports are Pula (LDPL) and Portorose (LJPZ), both at distance of approximate 45 kilometers of city of Rovinj.

On the airport “Vrsar” will be open the SKYBAR with terrace, nearby the temporary hangars and parked race aircrafts.

On the base of your reservations, we’ll be organized the transport for visitors from Vrsar to Rovinj and back, by boat, with attending the race from the boat.

For times of opening the airport Vrsar on the racing day, and ten days prior the race, consult the NOTAMs issued according to restrictions.

Best regards,

Aeroklub „Vrsar“
"

EDLN and EDKB
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message