Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying limited in The Netherlands during Nuclear Security Summit from 23rd until the 26th of March

GA flying is basically impossible in the Netherlands during the Nuclear Security Summit.

The Nuclear Security Summit (NSS) will be hosted in The Hague on 24 and 25 March 2014. The Nuclear Security Summit 2014 is a world summit, aimed at preventing nuclear terrorism around the globe.

As a result, the following airspaces in the Amsterdam FIR will be closed or restricted from 23 March up to and including 26 March, 2014:

http://www.ais-netherlands.nl/aim/2013-10-03-AIRAC/eAIP/html/eAIC/EH-eAIC-2013-05-A-en-GB.html

Last Edited by jkv at 05 Feb 17:56
jkv
EHEH

50nm??? This seems like a huge over-reaction. I really wonder about the mentality of the people that come up with this kind of idea.

Looks like VFR departures from Runway 23 at Lelystad will be forbidden – it appears that the ATZ is half-in and half-out of the no-VFR / PPR-for-unscheduled-IFR zone (NSS Den Haag 50). That should make things interesting. One would think that someone would have had the sense to leave Lelystad out of the restricted zone. As you suggest jkv, most GA will probably just stay on the ground for the four day period.

I read elsewhere that the Polderbaan (18R-36L) at Schiphol will be used for parking during the Summit – and I believe it may also undergo some maintenance either before or afterwards (I haven’t checked the NOTAM). One good thing to come from this is shorter taxiing times at Amsterdam.

EGTT, The London FIR

Completely crazy. Why don’t they ground all of Dutch GA … would be more simple to understand.

Lelystad will be closed for vfr traffic for the duration with severe limitations on ifr traffic

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Yes, this is over-reaction. Some bureaucrats did not think this through. The chairman of my flying club in Eindhoven (EHEH) just confirmed that there will be no flying, even though we are outside of the 50nm circle. Potentially this is because EHEH is a military base (but than again other military fields are not affected).

Also I don’t understand why they use a 50nm radius. Why not close down the Amsterdam FIR? The boundaries are more clear to every VFR flyer in the Netherlands. The boundaries are probably set by non-flying bureaucrats…

jkv
EHEH

Will cars and trucks be prohibited entry to those zones as well?
Will local businesses also be required to close down operations and stop production?
I can’t hold it but I see a movie plot unfold here …

I guess a number of business transactions will not take place during that time because there is no way to get to the Netherlands – not even on an IFR flight, as it will be non-airline and thus non-scheduled.

Frequent travels around Europe

Football fans are up in arms as well as all matches have been cancelled due to lack of manpower to provide police support

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Actually it is very sad to see how fear is driving a lot of behavior these days. :-(

Frequent travels around Europe
I remember what Mr. Wolfgang Schäuble, former Minister of the Interior in Germany once said : “The biggest threatening comes from private pilots.” Obviously the authorities in the Netherlands think similar and therefore the business of KLM. Lufthansa, BA and others is not affected.
Berlin, Germany

I am tempted to fly there IFR just because…

EGTK Oxford
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message