Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Romania and Bulgaria joining Schengen (for air travel) in March 2024

Just so it doesn‘t get completely lost here….

Now, both countries doesn‘t seem to have a noteworthy number of GA, non-customs airfields that happen to be in interesting locations. So it probably doesn‘t really open up a big number of airfields for visitors. Exceptions might be Clinceni LRCN near Bucarest, or Lesnovo LBLS and Primorsko LBPR. But these are so far from Hungary, Croatia, etc. that some people will need an intermediate fuel stop in RO/BG anyway, which will likely be on a customs aerodrome anyway.

As with Croatia, the main advantage will be that on the „other“ end of the flight, pilots will no longer have to use customs aerodromes either. In particular, in Hungary, at Szeged they used to charge big money extra for the customs officer to come and look at the passport for 5 seconds, which is now over. Also, it opens up Nyíregyháza (which has Avgas too, as opposed to Debrecen).

Osijek/Klisa might also become a good stepping stone (with low fees and Avgas) for Romania and Bulgaria trips. Klisa to Lesnovo is 270 NM, Klisa to Clinceni is 315 NM….

But I guess the main benefit will be for RO/BG based pilots wanting to fly internationally, even if they are are still heavily surrounded by non EU/non Schengen countries (Serbia, North Macedonia, Turkey, Moldova) and by Greece, which will insists on international airports for all international flights anyway.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 31 Dec 06:20
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I fly from GVA to SOF regularly as a passenger for work, and I hope this will allow Wizzair to use the new terminal.

I have not flown myself to Bulgaria yet, but hope to do so when the weather and scheduling works out.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

Thanks Bosco, you beat me to it. A fair analysis.

This could open some interesting options though, if fully implemented and customs barriers fall like has happened in Croatia. Our group did a trip through Slovenia, Hungary, Croatia and back to Switzerland this summer. We originally wanted to make a loop to a couple places in western Romania but finally decided against it due to extra effort and cost of customs in both Hungary and Romania which didn’t seem worth it for just a couple nights in Romania. That would look much different this year. There are a few nice places to visit in eastern Hungary and western Romania that are much more attractive destinations if the cost/confirmation/organization of passport control and customs is removed. Bulgaria is a lot farther south than most realize. But there are perhaps some new options now that could make for interesting trips. For example direct from Sinj LDSS or Brac LDSB or Osijek LDOS in Croatia to Lesnovo LBLS near Sofia. Flying direct from Croatia to Lesnovo and/or Primorsko should soon be possible.

If only Greece would open up, that would create some really nice loop trip possibilities…… be sure to sign the petition folks!

LSZK, Switzerland

Greece is doable OK – the main issue is the fraported airports charging 400+. Apart from that little has changed there (except the LGKC and LGSY cases) in last 20 years.

Nearest I got to the topic was Constanta but that has no avgas now.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Osijek/Klisa

I use LDOS as customs/immigration point to Bosnia. Last time (few months ago) I paid some €30 for this technical stop comparing to similar stuff at LDZA which would be over €200 or inviting police and customs to my base LDVA which would be around €130.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Yes, LDOS doesn‘t seem to be a bad place, but it is still always good to have more options than „the usual ones“.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Peter wrote:

Greece is doable OK – the main issue is the fraported airports charging 400+.

Sure, but if Greece were also fully Schengen compatible and allowed direct flights to/from any airfield to another Schengen airfield then quite a few Greek airfields would be interesting for flights Greece/Bulgaria.

LSZK, Switzerland

True, although apart from Syros LGSY (no C+I) the avgas matrix has hardly changed, and which Greek airport is nearest Bulgaria/etc and has avgas? Samos – now under the German operator at €400 (2017 price, TB20). For sure proper schengen operation in Greece would be great but it will never happen. Very little GA flies into Greece, and almost no Greek GA flies outside Greece, and no change over past 20 years. Actually it has got worse, due to the post-euphoria financial screw.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

WOW, that is really good news. In my case not only for GA but also for airline travel, where going non-schengen always was another waiting point on short connections.

BG has quite a few GA airfields. Yes, Lesnovo and Primorsko are the two best known ones, but there are more.

• Ihtiman (LBHT) is a great little airfield south of Sofia which has attracted traffic from Lesnovo as it’s cheaper and outside the Sofia CTR.

Balchik, Dolna Banya and several others come to mind, most are private but can be used with PPR via the owners. There is a list of all the airports here:

https://www.aopa.bg/storage/app/media/vfr%20procedures/Extract_VFR_Info_AIP_Bulgaria.pdf

I don’t know most of those but it should be interesting. Have to ask around there, the Bulgarian CAA are generally very much pro GA and helpful.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 31 Dec 15:12
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

eurogaguest1980 wrote:

I hope this will allow Wizzair to use the new terminal.

The use of Terminal 1 has nothing to do with Schengen, but it is the designated LCC terminal. Hence Wizz is not going to want to move even if they were invited to.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
19 Posts
Sign in to add your message