Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Why unnecessary stops should be avoided

Wow, that really makes diesel diamonds less desirable, from a maintenance cost POV. Would love to see the airworthiness section of the MM. Here is the one of the SR22.

Except more scheduled services per less covered miles.

In the case of a privately operated SR22, not really, because there are no services that need to be done after x hours.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 22 Jun 18:22
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

Would love to see the airworthiness section of the MM.

Out of my head for CD-155 engines:
- fuel filter and gearbox oil filter every 100 hours
- various additional inspections every 300 hours
- new HP pumps and alternators every 600 hours
- v-ribbed belt and some valves every 1200 hours
- gearbox inspections on each of above service intervals

With low Jet A1 price in the past total cost of ownership was similar to Lycoming, saving on fuel, spending on maintenance but these days I believe this calculation doesn’t hold anymore.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

boscomantico wrote: Would love to see the airworthiness section of the MM.

Out of my head for CD-155 engines:
- fuel filter and gearbox oil filter every 100 hours
- various additional inspections every 300 hours
- new HP pumps and alternators every 600 hours
- v-ribbed belt and some valves every 1200 hours
- gearbox inspections on each of above service intervals

With low Jet A1 price in the past total cost of ownership was similar to Lycoming, saving on fuel, spending on maintenance but these days I believe this calculation doesn’t hold anymore.

@Emir, are these the recommended values from chapter 05 MM or the actual chapter 04 MM airworthiness limitations?

EGTR

arj1 wrote:

@Emir, are these the recommended values from chapter 05 MM or the actual chapter 04 MM airworthiness limitations?

MM airworthiness limitations.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

The FAA might well not have permitted such requirements for an FAA-approved MM.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Diamond have their manuals available for free on the website so it is easy to check. When I look there at the manual for the DA42 NG I can only find a few things in Section 04 and none of the ones you mention above.

So they are not mandatory in the full spirit of Part-ML, if one wish to(and are able I might add) to deviate from them.

Link to the manual:
http://support.diamond-air.at/fileadmin/uploads/files/after_sales_support/DA42_New_Generation/Airplane_Maintenance_Manual/Basic_Manual/70215-DA42-NG-AMM-r5.pdf

ESSZ, Sweden
always learning
LO__, Austria

Fly310 wrote:

When I look there at the manual for the DA42 NG I can only find a few things in Section 04 and none of the ones you mention above.

There are some differences between DA42 TDI and NG.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Sebastian_G wrote:

Not really JetA1 uplifts below 1000 liters are more or less an offense to most fuel companies. Some places charge a hook up fee below 1000 liters or a small uplift fee etc

Airlines and other large customers pay a lower price per litre and we negotiate what we call “into plane fees” separately. So even with large uplifts, there is still a separate sort-of-hook-up fee. It makes sense if you want to optimize costs anyway. This works very well for regular services from a certain location. For one-offs we frequently end up using WFS, but that is much more expensive. A one-off into-plane negotiation is also possible but sometimes not cost-effective.

IN practice, for GA travel we mostly find ourselves doing one-off small uploads which is the least efficient way of managing overall fuel costs. Hence the utility of fuel cards like Total, Shell or BP, which are sort of non-optimized “blanket-contracts” applicable at multiple locations.
MArgins are terribly high, but I don’t see how else we are going to get the service for the low volumes.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

The question (rhetorical) is how all of that function nicely in US with much lower fuel price and landing fees… And the (probably) correct answer is they are fleecing us here in Europe because they can.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message