Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Airports whose AIP and NOTAM data is bogus or tricky and additional briefing is required

That is what we have been saying. Now.we just have to get clarification on the LFBH situation and on Schengen non EU eg Switzerland except if they are based in Geneve.
It is very important in France to ask the right question.

Last Edited by gallois at 07 Jun 08:33
France

@Peter, I believe that the second Email I exactly what I have been saying wrt Annecy – namely there is no need to tell anyone anything flying intra-shengen.

Frans wrote:

Flying in Scandinavian countries is among the easiest and most uncomplicated in Europe. Alright, the Avgas situation in Norway could be better, but when it comes down to customs, ATC, airspace, fees etc. you guys are living the dream!

Perhaps, but it’s hardly any different when looking at AIPs. There is customs regulations flying into Norway too (as well as immigration from outside Schengen), and if you don’t follow those regulations, you could be met with angry people wondering WTF you are trying to do.

It’s not clear to me what exactly all these threads are about because:

• the UK is outside EU
  • the UK is outside Schengen
  • the UK does not have any international/bi-lateral agreements making movement between countries (Europe/UK) simpler.

The basics of customs and immigrations are the same all over, especially so in Europe. For customs it’s like this:
1. It’s your responsibility to contact customs – if you have something you need to contact customs about.
2. The general rule is to enter/exit through the officially announced places where there are customs offices.

Then there are exemptions. The typical exemption is that for personal travel, with a personal means of transportation, then rule number 2 is relaxed, but there is a string attached. That string is you actually have nothing you need to contact customs about. This is what the new EU reg is all about. It’s very simple, but can be confusing when reading the AIP or other info, because the first rule is not relaxed, it never is (unless customs are abolished). Adding to the confusion is the fact that even though you have something do declare, you still can enter/exit through places without customs office, but this is usually only possible with an up front notice.

Immigration has nothing to do with customs, but it’s obviously related to personal travelling as customs is. Customs offices are usually placed where there also is immigration offices, at least related to air travel. For ground travel, this is usually not the case. Lots of customs offices between Norway/Sweden for instance, but no immigration offices.

Inside Schengen there are no immigration, but could be customs.
Inside EU there are no customs, but could be immigration.

It seems to me most of these problems are self made. They don’t actually exists. For instance. How will a customs office interpret the situation if you contact them up front to land at a special place with no customs office? They will think there is a reason for it. If you have no reason, why contact them? From outside Schengen + outside EU, it’s a no brain no headache kind of situation because both customs and immigration apply. But France is France, they tend to say and do different things

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Finally La Rochelle has climbed down on its crazy ‘48hr PN for non-French flights’ notam.

I plan to go there next week but won’t be able to test this because the UK is non-schengen so I have to do the PN anyway.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I think the Belgium GAR is another candidate for this thread.

Take EBOS. Nothing in the AIP. Nothing in Notams. C+I is shown in the AIP as H24, so no PN needed.

But there is that damned website which nobody would normally find out about.

Administrator

The Belgium GAR requirement is listed in the Belgium General AIP: GEN 1.2 Entry, Transit and Departure of Aircraft in the section Submission of the General Declaration to Belgian Air Border Guards

Last Edited by Dino at 12 Jun 16:21

Right, but while most “informed” pilots do the AIP + NOTAM route, almost nobody reads AIP GEN. That’s a really horrible place to put AD-specific information, not least because there is so much to read that few people will fly to that country.

Administrator

I’d agree if it was AD specific but the requirement as we know is across the whole of Belgium for all their official entry points

From here

Here’s an idea for next year – Pontarlier – LFSP. Inspired by Dan who says he uses it all the time to clear C&I in and out of Switzerland.

Very central location. 1,000m runway. Nice and quiet. C&I available. Attractive wooded low mountains around. And the home of absinthe!

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

Nice. 12hr PN. 2hrs from EGKA.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message