Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Trip to Borkum - airspace and water crossing questions

Hey all,

so let’s have some more VFR content here, shall we.

I’m planning a trip to Borkum EDWR from Niederrhein EDLV. I’ve learned from Euroga ;-) that it makes sense to plan VFR trips simply as a straight direct-to line.

Here is the terminal bit of the resulting route plan in Skydemon.

Issue 1: At a planned altitude of 3500 ft, I’d be overflying EELDE CTR (which ends at 3000 ft) and crossing Groningen EHGG mid-field. There’s also the wider Class E Eelde TMA with an assigned radio frequency of Eelde tower. I’m not overly familiar with the concept of TMAs.

Would you fly it like this? Or avoid? Who would you be speaking with? Generally, I’d be speaking with Dutch Mil obviously. I just don’t like the thought of crossing a (pretty busy I think) airfield without proper communication.

Issue 2: The final bit involves flying over water for some 5 NM. This is obviously not comparable to a channel crossing. It’s also not comparable to a river crossing. Would you make your passengers wear life-vests? Would you carry (and rent) a life-raft? It seems a bit overkill for me and I don’t like worrying pax if unncessary. Life-vests without raft seems illusional in March. But then, depending on which altitude is actually flyable for me VFR (due to e.g. cloud), there might be a small time span where we are out of gliding range of either land side.

Thanks!

Last Edited by Patrick at 18 Feb 00:10
Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

On your issue 2: I wouldn’t require vests or take a raft on that. This sort of thing is however a terribly personal subject.

EGTK Oxford

On Issue 1: Maybe there are special regulations but I had a look at the chart and I think it all comes down to airsprace classification. So at EELDE you have the CTR from GND to 3000AGL. Then you have airspace E and a Transponder Mandatory Zone from 3000ft to FL65. FL65 and up you have airspace A. In my opinion you can fly without a clearance between 3000ft and FL65. Apparently EELDE Tower is providing flight information for the E airspace on 118,700.

I was at EELDE not long ago and the amount of traffic was not so much and they are nice so even crossing the CTR should not be an issue. When you cross the airport above I suggest doing it midfield. Initially it feels stange to do so but it would be lot worse to fly at 3500ft in the appraoch or departure sector where you could encounter IFR traffic in airspace E. This could lead to situations where a 737 is supposed to give you way. But I think many commercial crews are not always aware they are in E airspace and they have to watch for traffic…

Make sure your transponder works. First it is a TMZ and second this is what protects you. Many IFR planes will have traffic systems or full TCAS so even you do not see them they will see you!

If you watch the chart for the much bigger Leipzip or Dresden airports you will see that even there you have some airspace E above where you are free to cross without a clearance. You could even mix up their arrival sectors although ATC is not going to be very happy and if you are on flight following with FIS they will probably suggest to avoid the approaching airlines. Only the really big airports like Frankfurt, Berlin etc. have a complete approach and departure all in airspace where you are not allowed to enter without clearance (A, B, C or D).

Last Edited by Sebastian_G at 18 Feb 01:09
www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Just call Eelde for a Tma crossing – I have never been refused. For the overwater bit I really would not bother with a lifejacket – at low tide you can almost walk to the island but you must do whatever YOU are comfortable with.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

DutchMill will probably hand you over to Eelde. If not, give them a call anyway. They provide flight information service and notify you of any para activity that is going on at the airport. They are friendly. Wouldn’t bother with the lifejackets either, but as said, that’s a personal call.

Check if the hotel (Dünehotel?) right behind the airport is open, I was there in January, but then it was closed.

Oh yes, and they have these pinned up in the briefingroom:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/74281801/DSC04406.JPG

Happy flying!

Last Edited by Bobo at 18 Feb 08:19
EHTE, Netherlands

Thanks, all, for the guidance!

Check if the hotel (Dünehotel?) right behind the airport is open, I was there in January, but then it was closed.

I’m sentimental about this. It was right at that hotel on a sunny spring afternoon a couple of years back that I decided that one day, I will learn to fly here myself. Subject to weather, that day seems to be on short final…

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Personally, I always carry a raft but don’t wear life jackets. The raft gets serviced every 2-3 years.

OTOH, flying high altitude IFR, I am often not out of glide range. For example at FL100+ (possible only with an IR) you cross UK-Belgium within glide range. Shoreham-Caen not, of course (some 80nm) but at FL150 one has ~15 mins. I probably should have a life jacket lying on the back seat in that case :)

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Personally no life jackets for that water crossing. You will however find a neat item in Skydemon when you get “feet wet”: it will display an oblong circle (based on wind direction) with “safe glide distance”.. Very impressive and not a feature you see on older tech displays ;)

..and Dutch Mil will transfer you to Eelde if they need to. I also second Sebastian’s “midfield crossing” suggestion

EDLN and EDKB

You will however find a neat item in Skydemon when you get “feet wet”: it will display an oblong circle (based on wind direction) with “safe glide distance”.. Very impressive and not a feature you see on older tech displays ;)

How does SD know the wind?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I think that Skydemon needs to be online for the wind. I read your discussion about the wind models which is beyond me

EDLN and EDKB
22 Posts
Sign in to add your message