Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Transatlantic flight - Americas databases to GTN750 / G500 Txi

I’m preparing the plane’s trip home for its sale. I currently have a Garmin sub for International navdata, and I’m going to need to buy a single update for Americas North for each device. Is it possible to pre-load both International and Americas North on the GTN750, or do I need to swap datacards in Greenland ?

EGTF, LFTF

I know the 750 can hold two databases, but I think they have to be the same (it’s an easy-update feature, one of our club planes has it). You may wish to ask the question in one of the ferry pilot groups on FB, these guys should know.

172driver wrote:

You may wish to ask the question in one of the ferry pilot groups on FB

I would assume quite a few are on a budget and will simply fly on entering coordinates by hand for waypoints beyond the coverage. Only bad as you can not fly LPV procedures or similar that way…

denopa wrote:

I’m going to need to buy a single update for Americas North for each device

Probably an update for the primary GTN750 only will do.

denopa wrote:

or do I need to swap datacards in Greenland ?

The GTN750 nav data is stored in the device and not on the card. It only reads if from the card once doing the update. So you can have the other database on an SD card and then insert that in Greenland and update the database.

The thing to watch out for is the terrain data. That is stored on the SD card and you can also have that for a specific region. At least one fatal PA46 accident up north might have to do with not having the terrain data loaded. So better make sure your iPad(s) are updated and have the area covered.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

We had to do it twice for our trips to the Americas but it‘s a while ago (2014 and 2017/2018) and we have only one 750. It worked like this: We had to buy the world wide subscription for the period of time we required it and were refunded what we had payed for our regular subscription for that period. They were realy fair as we could specify exact dates, say April 1st to October 20th. IIRC the problem was finding a contact with Jeppesen. Technically we had to download the database on or after the ageed start date and update the 750, so there is only one database. Probably it would have worked till the end of the AIRAC cycle even after the ageed end date, but I didn’t try.

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

Thank you ! Worldwide seems the way to go

EGTF, LFTF

When I did a North Atlantic crossing we did exactly as Sebastian_G described, having the USA data on the card and updating the GTN650 in Greenland.

Not sure it applies to your device, but Navigation Data Transatlantic on my GNX375 did not require any change of software when either westbound or eastbound.
Of course, one change required was the switching from in/hg to hpa or vv

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message