Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

TMG ferry from ESNN to EBZW +800 Nm in one day

I just ferried over my TMG over from Sweden Sundsvall ESNN to Belgium EBZW last Friday,. Longest flight I have ever done in a small aircraft in one day, 10 hours stick flying no AP of course, we burned 150L mix of Mogas/UL91/Avgas. It was a fantastic experience and after flying ten years mostly IFR on long distance I really enjoyed the scenery low level. It was shocking to see on a blue sky day all over Sweden no GA aircraft in sight or on the radio (so it felt) . I understand why! Landing, at ESOE and ESTA was OK. Can not complain about controllers etc. Quite friendly. Getting fuel was a tedious process. This requires very well checking in advance if the AD has fuel hence opening hours. On both airports they clearly had not seen a small aircraft for a period I think, on ESOA you need a Shell card (CC works also but it took 20 minutes) on ESTA they BP and UL91. Not to even mention the crazy opening hours of ESNN. They close the airfield on 7:30 AM virtual tower stuff ….We were in the air by 7:15 the controlled airspace went out 10 minutes after that………The 35 Euro bill for each T&G made for familiarization (6) still has to arrive for ESNN. Bottom line you need to take to take a lot of things into account when going to some bigger airports, you go UL or TMG you can remain outside the theater organized for commercial operations only. I had a strict planning so I had to assure my fuel planning on these airports, if I could have avoided it I would. I never used a portable VHF ten years, now I used it on every airport….can you sent someone please…:-). Denmark was full of GA chatter on the radio we just flew over it low level. We landed in Luebeck (EDHL) very professional ATC, good airport for GA, adminstration a bit painfull. No parking fee on grass after refueling UL91, landing fee was 14 euro for a TMG. I filed a border crossing FPLN in flight over Skydemon, called the ARO office on my bluetooth headset and the flight plan passed, Germany requires 1 hour in advance so we did that in flight still 3 hours flying to go.

Last Edited by Vref at 17 May 09:45
EBST

Vref wrote:

It was shocking to see on a blue sky day all over Sweden no GA aircraft in sight or on the radio (so it felt) .

Sweden is a large and sparsely populated place…

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

Sweden is a large and sparsely populated place…

As of now 50% of them doing circuits in Lunds (4 out of 8)
Obviously, not everyone is on FR24

Vref wrote:

I had a strict planning so I had to assure my fuel planning on these airports, if I could have avoided it I would.

Flying gets funny when you downsize to lower range aircraft, how about soaring with engine off? any luck?

Other than sunset/sunrise +/- 30min, what are the rules regarding off-field landing with motor-gliders, walk to petrol station refuel with SP98 and takeoff again? also, commercial CAT airports hate TMG as in term of size it sits between Golfstream and Airbus on their ramps…I am surprised they let you go over the grass (do they MOR that as runway/taxiway excursion? )

Last Edited by Ibra at 17 May 11:09
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Impressive! I would personally have chosen other refuelling stops, but everyone has their choices and glad everything turned out well with weather, fuel and all!

Last Edited by AndersB at 17 May 11:28
ESOW, Sweden

IIbra wrote:

Flying gets funny when you downsize to lower range aircraft, how about soaring with engine off? any luck?

No time for that the purpose was to ferry it over in the shortest time. I flew it engine off a while and the Ximango soars beautiful its a French design based on the RF10, I think the Ximango is the best choice of mixing travelling with soaring just love it. I owned a Taifun 17E before, the Ximango is a better glider and more easy to fold the wings, though you need some muscle power the wingtips are quite heavy. It can be done in 5 minutes

Ibra wrote:

Other than sunset/sunrise +/- 30min, what are the rules regarding off-field landing with motor-gliders, walk to petrol station refuel with SP98 and takeoff again? also, commercial CAT airports hate TMG as it takes the size of a Golfstream on their ramps…I am surprised they let you go over the grass (do they MOR that as runway/taxiway excursion? )

Not sure, but you you can take this flex tanks with you and basically get some petrol on the other side off the road :-). Yeah well I was a bit worried when this Ryanair start spooling up his engines. No grass on this one though:-). That was in Luebeck ;-)

Last Edited by Vref at 17 May 11:28
EBST

AndersB wrote:

other refuelling stops,

Curious to know which ones? Looking at the fuel availability, ppr stuff?

EBST

Ibra wrote:

Obviously, not everyone is on FR24

FR24 can only see aircraft with mode S or ADS-B out. As mode S is not required in Sweden for VFR, there is no incitament to upgrade working transponders unless you fly IFR.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Btw, Sundsvall really worth a visit I liked it a lot. In general Sweden is a very cool place to go :-)….check the AD opening hours and handling costs though :-). If not take a Ryan air flight to Arlanda and the train will take you in three hours to ESNN Sundsvall

Last Edited by Vref at 17 May 12:11
EBST

Ski operations just closed down, that was on 11th of May..They have three ski slopes in the vicinity

Last Edited by Vref at 17 May 12:03
EBST
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message