Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Three, two, one....

Why (in this day and age) do rocket launches have spoken countdowns?

EGKB Biggin Hill

Coz’ it’s cool

EGTF, LFTF

… which is likely the the same reason why it was done in the 60’s.

Imagine watching a rocket on the pad, and going to the loo only to return and it’s already gone…

Biggin Hill

Why should they not. It has worked before and has been proven a good system, so they keep using it.

I recall reading through the pocedures manual for the Shuttle many years ago and like in the previous missions everything is based on T – and T+ time items. So basically it comes natural that the countdowns during launch as well as for critical in flight items is still a very valid concept.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I was thinking the same thing about the countdown watching the Dragon Capsule launch…
The entertainment value is the reason.
Why livestream the camera feeds from the rockets to the public when something could go wrong?
Same reason: great PR when it goes right.

In fact, I’m surprised they don’t go a little further with the announcers, and make it a little more like a sporting event.
With all the hype of the engineers (who missed the 3rd stage audible success cue) cheering on the visual feed, they could make a whole event out of it, and sell tickets at the same time.

Every nerd I work with would want to go!

It is a rocket. You have to do the countdown.

EGTK Oxford

“It is a rocket. You have to do the countdown”

That include NYE fireworks & rockets (it is not rocket science !)

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

If you’re monitoring screens and information for the rocket systems having an audible countdown is better than having to look at a different screen.

All the serious answers you read online (there’s a complex sequence of events that have to be done, in order, to launch within a window) are as applicable to launching an airliner, or indeed an MEP.

EGKB Biggin Hill

The use of significant thrust motors which can’t be throttled or switched off once lit I think gives very little room for aborting if you find something a fraction too late.

Cryogenic fuels and hypergolic fuels are a bit more challenging than avgas or jet A.

Saying that I would have tohught if they absolutely wanted to a great deal could be automated.

Perhaps it’s just so they can sync the audio and video for everyone to watch…

18 Posts
Sign in to add your message