Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The future of aviation and the environment

Silvaire wrote:

looks fine after 46 years in service with no overhaul

A bit of thread drift, but impressive stuff! How many hours on that 320? Surely had a top OH done at some point, no?

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

alioth wrote:

Really, the only practical way to use hydrogen for typical every day transport is to attach the hydrogen atoms to a carbon atom.

Agree. And this is what plants/algae do for “free”, and without producing hydrogen in the first place It’s a bit funny. When talking to fans hydrogen (could be hydrogen cars), they say they believe in the hydrogen economy. It’s a large element of faith there. Talking to fans of electricity (for instance electric cars), they say they got an electric car due to cost/coolness/technology/environment/incentives. A much more practical approach. With biofuel, nobody cares as long as they can fill up the tank

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Dan wrote:

A bit of thread drift, but impressive stuff! How many hours on that 320? Surely had a top OH done at some point, no?

It’s up to 51 years since assembly now. It’s got about 1100 hrs total time, with no top overhaul logged and a bit of corrosion in 3 of 4 bores. A little oil misting here and there but no leaks, burns about a quart of oil every 12 hrs and has mid-70s compression. I’ve never seen any metal at all in the oil filter, as you might with serious cam/lifter issues.

The plane and engine was owned by one guy from the mid-70s until 2005, he lived and still lives on an airport so the plane was at home in his hangar/garage. It then had a 5 year period of relative neglect until I got it in 2010.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 15 Dec 16:12

LeSving wrote:

When talking to fans hydrogen (could be hydrogen cars), they say they believe in the hydrogen economy. It’s a large element of faith there. Talking to fans of electricity (for instance electric cars), they say they got an electric car due to cost/coolness/technology/environment/incentives.

It’s in different stages of the hype cycle. 20 Years ago also the battery-electric car fans were more believers than hipsters.

Germany

Malibuflyer wrote:

It’s in different stages of the hype cycle. 20 Years ago also the battery-electric car fans were more believers than hipsters.

to be fair even today, electric vehicles are only 2.2% of cars on the road, despite all the misplaced hype. However they are a massive (note the irony here) 5.4% of the new passenger cars sold globally in 2021. Also note, sold and actually delivered are not the same.

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

LFHNflightstudent wrote:

to be fair even today, electric vehicles are only 2.2% of cars on the road, despite all the misplaced hype

In Norway electric cars have passed 50% market share a couple of years ago. It’s now about 65% of all new cars. For private households, the market share for electric cars are about 82%, no kidding.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Isn’t that largely because of the punitive sales taxes on gasoline and diesel powered vehicles?

Also Norway is something of a special case. Small population, incredibly wealthy, electricity so cheap it is basically free.

EGLM & EGTN

Graham wrote:

Isn’t that largely because of the punitive sales taxes on gasoline and diesel powered vehicles?

It’s likely target setting!

You always think the US with their adoration for Tesla would be much further ahead, but as there are no targets, they’re not really getting ’’on’’ with it either. (to be fair, nor am I, love the sound of that flat 6 too much ;-))

Link

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

After 7 years of driving (fully) electric, last summer I decided it was time for a new one. The semiconductor shortage has caused a serious delay in delivery, so hope to get it in February. Which is just as well because I’m only halfway in building an on-board noise and smoke generator. I really don’t want to be ridiculed or even kicked off this forum you know.

Back to aviation?

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Speaking of noise generators, these are quite common in normal cars. I got mine removed (VW Scirocco diesel).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message