Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The end of the beginning (bought an SR22)

When you have MFD charting from Jeppeson you get the updates for the aircraft, plus several other device keys you can use as you like. We have one on a laptop, and a couple of Ipads in the aircraft, and I use another on my personal ipad mini.

You can print charts from the laptop with ease (Peter; it probably wouldn’t run on windows 3.11)

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

@Neil – it sounds like what you are describing is the old Jepp four-device subscription. How much are you paying for it?

If that’s it, we have done the pricing on this to death here many times, and the debate always comes back to what is “Europe”. Then someone posts a link to Jepp’s website which shows Europe as the region west of the Iron Curtain All of “political Europe” costs close to €2000/year.

No matter how one slices this topic, it always comes back to something very similar.

Jepp are also (as of recently) doing a one-device subscription. I don’t know if this is available for panel mount kit but, if it is, it probably won’t be of much use to the aircraft owner because most people like to have access back home also.

For cost-sensitive customers, this usually leads to one buying the one-device subscription (available for the Ipad as JeppFD, or for a Windows PC as Jeppview 4) for about €900/year. Then you have nothing running in the panel and if you bought JeppFD you run the Ipad in the aircraft (and you have no backup of any kind in the aircraft).

If you bought Jeppview (PC) then you will print to paper, print any extras (diversions etc) to PDFs, and fly with the paper and fly with the PDFs on the Ipad (or whatever can display PDFs). You don’t need backup for the paper, and the PDFs run fine even on a modern phone (with reading glasses).

And if you bought the Jeppview 4 (PC) option, you can print an entire airport, to PDFs, to paper, etc. The PDF output method obviously enables the subscription to be shared with others. A panel-mount-only package cannot be shared at all, except obviously with other pilots flying the same plane.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hi Rob, just in case you didn’t know: as a COPA member you get 15 months for 12. Contact me for all details, I can also send you all my Jeppesen invoices by eMail (but be aware that my chart subscription is for Avidyne, while you need Garmin)
Cheers!

Congrats, great airplane!

Contact me for all details,

Glad to hear you got yourself a job at COPA or Jeppesen, Flyer59

Truly excellent news – congratulations!

You should be really well placed to answer the various points raised

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

200KTAS, good systems (I include the CAPS) and nice cabin – a solid product, amazing they pretty well have the niche to themselves in terms of numbers sold. It’s just the overall package, no technological breakthrough.

Now if they ever considered a new generation Cessna 185 …

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Flyer59 wrote:

Hi Rob, just in case you didn’t know

Which would mean you didn’t read this thread…

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 10 May 19:46

Peter wrote:

Anecdotally, from people I know, I think the great majority of pilots with cockpits capable of displaying Jepp data don’t have the data installed, due to the cost. Or they have it on a new plane but don’t bother renewing it.

If one uses these instruments for IFR flying SIDs, STARs and approaches then it’s absolutely crucial to have latest update. Inconsistency between data in database and plates is an incident waiting to happen.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Regarding the conversation about charts and navdata …

I did buy the expensive Jepp chart subscription for Europe (Western Europe :-)) and have now decided to only continue with nav data.

In my case the nav data produces a good enough map on the MFD with all the necessary information for all the SIDs, STARs and approaches. It is really the same as what the plate / terminal chart shows. I simply use a split view on my MFD where the map is left and the flight plan is right. The flight plan on the right has all the target altitudes at certain fixes while the map is the horizontal view. And obviously that gets flown in NAV mode when left alone.

Then I use Skydemon where I get the AIP charts from Eurocontrol. As a backup I can have autorouter.eu send me the plates for departure and destination airports via email but SD also downloads them automatically. I have SD running as a “GPS logger” and to lookup things. So I load my flight plan into it (from the autorouter.eu email) before starting the engine and typing in the flight plan into the FMS.

Yes, the Jeppesen charts are consistent and easy to read while the AIP charts differ in layout and in some cases (Germany) one has to calculate the DA from OCH and airport/TZ elevations. I’m not sure if the convenience is worth 2000 EUR … And when I flew into Prague I had to Jepp chart anyway …

Frequent travels around Europe

Stephan_Schwab wrote:

Yes, the Jeppesen charts are consistent and easy to read while the AIP charts differ in layout and in some cases (Germany) one has to calculate the DA from OCH and airport/TZ elevations. I’m not sure if the convenience is worth 2000 EUR … And when I flew into Prague I had to Jepp chart anyway …

With some knowledge and the good sources, you can run the jeppFD app for Ipad with the worldwide subscription for free.
(If not appropriate on this forum, you can delete my post)

Romain

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB
40 Posts
Sign in to add your message