Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The end of Learjet

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

All my “knowledge” about Learjet is it was a student friend of mine’s favorite plane in MS Flight sim in the late 80s

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I think the Phenom 300 killed it. Learjet 75 has similar performance to the Phenom 300, but is certified in the transport category, while Phenom is commuter class. Customers don’t care about extra redundancy and go for the cheaper option.

LPFR, Poland

I have the following from an experienced bizjet friend of mine, who has a Lear TR and all sorts of stuff:

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

bq.Bombardier has mis managed Learjet. They could have capitalised on the name. It’s the most iconic in the industry.

Makes sense.

So after the loss of another icon (747) we lose this one :-/

EBST, Belgium

Looking at sales reports, one can see that CJ3 and CJ4 sold as much as the Phenom300E in the same period, so yeah, they’re guilty too.

LPFR, Poland

Peter wrote:

They should have brought out a less complex, baby Lear to compete with the CJ.

They could have re-invented the Lear 23. The oldest Lear’s which stems from the Swiss FFA P16 was at the time a class of it’s own. Small, fast as hell and flew higher than most others at up to 45000 ft. Basically a 2 + 4 to 6 seater, 1500 NM range and 420 KTAS cruise.

How about building one of these with FJ44’s and a nice glass cockpit and certify it to match the Phenom e.t.c. class, Single pilot and so on.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

loco wrote:

Customers don’t care about extra redundancy and go for the cheaper option.

Operators too don’t care I think, sadly.

always learning
LO__, Austria

SP offering would have saved them. Sad, because the Lear design still looks modern 60 years later.

BTW, Bill Lear – if you ever get a chance to read his story, he was a pretty impressive guy. One of those self-taught, boostrapping, let’s-get-it-done types we don’t really see much anymore.

AdamFrisch wrote:

let’s-get-it-done types we don’t really see much anymore.

I don’t think they were that common then, either. One of these types really won’t come to prominence till years after they have “bootstrapped” – there are many of these characters around right now as I write this, we just don’t know their names yet because it’ll be 20+ years before they are famous for it.

Andreas IOM
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message