Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The Aviation Industry in India

India is the 9th largest aviation market in the world with an estimated size of US $16 billion and is poised to be the 3rd largest by the year 2020.This industry presently supports about 0.5 per cent of the India’s GDP. This sector caters to about 150 million passengers daily, with the potential to grow further. By 2020, traffic at airports in India is anticipated to reach 450 million. India aviation industry promises huge growth potential due to large and growing middle class population, rapid economic growth, higher disposable incomes, rising aspirations of the middle class and overall low penetration levels.

The Aviation industry in India is experiencing a new era of expansion driven by factors such as low cost carriers, modern airports, and foreign direct investments in domestic airlines, cutting edge information technology interventions and growing emphasis on regional connectivity. Civil aviation sector has been growing steadily registering a growth of 13.8% during the last 10 years. The air transport in India has attracted FDI of over US$ 569 million from April 2000 to February 2015. As per estimates, passenger traffic at Indian Airports is expected to increase to 450 million by 2020 from 159.3 million in 2012-2013. In the second quarter of 2015, domestic air passenger traffic surged 19.2 per cent to 20.3 million from 17 million in the corresponding period a year ago. Total passenger carried in June 2015 increased 13 per cent Y-o-Y to 8.8 million from 7.8 million in June 2014. International and domestic passenger traffic grew 5.3 per cent and 16 per cent, respectively, in June 2015. Over the next five years, domestic and international passenger traffic are expected to increase at an annual average rate of 12 per cent and 8 per cent, respectively, while domestic and international cargo are estimated to rise at an average annual rate of 12 per cent and 10 per cent, respectively.
Government agencies project that around 500 brownfield and Greenfield airports would be required by 2020. The private sector is being encouraged to become actively involved in the construction of airports through different Public Private Partnership models, with substantial state support in terms of financing, concessional land allotment, tax holidays and other incentives. The Government of India along with the Make in India campaign plans to form a committee comprising bankers, aviation experts and technocrats to help turn around and privatize the national airline, Air India. The Government of India approved a proposal to set up a second airport in the National Capital Region. The Government of India expects to finalize the new aviation policy and revised international flying norms for domestic carriers soon; the government may remove the ‘5/20’ norms for domestic airlines in this new policy. The Airports Authority of India is responsible for developing, financing, operating, and maintaining all public sector airports. New airports are permitted under the Greenfield Airport Policy 2008. Investment in airports is encouraged under the Public Private Partnership Policy of the Government of India.

India’s aviation industry is largely untapped with huge growth opportunities, considering that air transport is still expensive for majority of the country’s population, of which nearly 40 per cent is the upwardly mobile middle class.
The industry stakeholders should engage and collaborate with policy makers to implement efficient and rational decisions that would boost India’s civil aviation industry. With the right policies and relentless focus on quality, cost and passenger interest, India would be well placed to achieve its vision of becoming the third-largest aviation market by 2020 and the largest by 2030.

Replace “India” with a dozen other “emerging country” names and the text will remain the same. Didn’t we read 5 years ago that Asia would require 500.000 new pilots within ten years? How many have been employed since that number was published? 200? 300? What has happened to Kingfisher Airlines (and a few more) in the meantime? I only believe what I see…

EDDS - Stuttgart

We all agree this is spam, right?

what_next wrote:

What has happened to Kingfisher Airlines (and a few more) in the meantime?

Hah. I was in India at the time. We were traveling with a group and besides some train rides, we’d booked a Kingfisher flight to take us back from Kochin to Mumbai before leaving the country. We were under the impression that during the few days of our stay, we had consumed enough of their beer to support the Kingfisher group in keeping up airline operations at least until we were back in Mumbai, but unfortunately, that was not the case. We had to book new tickets with Indian Airlines while we were already at the airport.

Another time, in India, I had a domestic flight with, I believe, Go Air cancelled the night before the early morning flight. They simply sent an SMS to me: “Dear Customer. Your flight’s been cancelled.” with no further information or contact details. I got the money back via the credit card company, back then.

Sorry, just some stories that came up.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Patrick wrote:

we had consumed enough of their beer to support the Kingfisher group

the weirdest tasting beer, isn’t it? I never figured out what makes that strange taste, my guess is glycerin. I’ve had hundreds of them…

We all agree this is spam, right?

Yes, but I wonder what for? Are we supposed to buy shares of Indian aviation companies?

EDDS - Stuttgart

I left this post despite it being a really obvious bit of editorial from some aviation magazine, in case anyone has views on Indian GA.

We have read the same massive hype about China for years now and nothing seems to be happening out there.

For GA to work in these places they need to completely reform their society which is currently corrupt from top to bottom and that is just 10% of their issues. A GA pilot I know lands at Calcutta and has to bribe about 5 airport officials on his “walk” from the plane to the exit door.

GA is also the ultimate expression of personal freedom so they have a long way to go there too.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

To be considered spam, it needs to have some readily identifiable commercial interest. But as there is little or no relation to G/A and none at all to Europe I was surprised that anybody wanted to take notice.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I have in the past allowed commercial posts because they can be useful. For example we might have a handling agent in Libya advertising their service. It might be handy if somebody wants to fly there

Pure spam is selling shoes / clothes / underwear / hotels / etc … Actually underwear would be OK (only kidding)

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hmmm

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

If “So?” has to be removed by the admin … will “Hmm” be removed aswell?? :-) Or does the picture make a difference?

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 27 Oct 18:38
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message