Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

That old (or new?) problem - parking for (visiting) light GA aircraft at the bigger airports

These days, almost all trip reports, at least those featuring certain countries, contain some episode or at least some change of plan due to the dreadful “no parking available” problem. I think it has gotten to the point where it is becoming a seriously limiting factor for flying, particularly in summer. Just as much as lack of Avgas. etc.

So the question is: is the impression right that everything seems to have become difficult when it comes to parking? I fly for 20 years now and really can’t tell with certainty. Sure, the number of places that inisist on a prior permission for parking has gone up a lot in recent years. But that doesn’t mean the problem didn’t exist say 10 or 20 years ago. Maybe they used to turn aircraft away via the radio? Maybe some idiots have subsequently sued airports for damage when they had flown for hundreds of miles and then couldn’t land at their planned destination? And then airports decided to cover their a$$es and implement a PPR system for parking?

Biarritz essentially is a closed airport for GA. Mykonos and Santorini likewise in summer. In Florence, it is a bureaucratic nightmare to get PPR. Split is also very diffcult in summer now. Loads more of such places. Many airports in Italy, Spain, Greece, etc. have a handful of light GA parking spots. Think San Sebastian, where you have to get PPR will in advance in summer in order to be one of the 6 fortunate ones. Obviously, the practice of having a PPR system brings about lots of undesirable consequences:

- people “book” parking spaces everywhere and for every eventuality and then cancel later (or maybe not even that. That is why we see some airfields with empty GA aprons, yet “no parking available”.
- people play dirty tricks and book for one night and then don’t fly off until a week later, citing they are unfit to fly. Obviously, airport staff knows all these tricks by now and it has very much become a “them against us” thing. Not good. At the aforementioned Biarritz, they now sometimes don’t even let aircraft land for refuelling, because apparently, too many people have played the dirty trick of landing “just for a fuel-stop”, and then declaring unfit to fly for a week, etc.

All these things happen as a direct consequence of these PPR rules. With no PPR rule, this would not happen.

Then there are the Brits, who, with their general “booking obsession”, request PPR even at airports which do not require PPR. Arguably, some airports might have introduced a PPR scheme as a conserquence of that.

Anyway, if parking in interesting places has become more scarce then this would contradict the general notion that SEP type touring GA is dwindling in Europe. Maybe it isn’t, after all?

Maybe it’s just because of the internet and pilot forums that nowadays we do get to know about many cases of “rejected parking applications” etc., where previously, we wouldn’t know?

One aspect might be the obvious increase of “bizet” GA traffic, and that these jets have taken up much of the space that was previously availabe for SEPs.

Another aspect is definitely that nowadays they “paint” aircraft parking positions on the GA aprons, whereas previously they didn’t, and managing the space flexibly was so much easier.

Yet another aspect might be in the increase in airline traffic. Personally, I think this is the main reason.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 27 Aug 21:50
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Funnlily enough today I asked for grass parking at Lugano (22 euros / day cheaper) and got denied (“too heavy”). “GA” parking was quite full, with plenty of Falcons (probably the largest jet that can cope with the required performance) in “sideway 69” to save space. The next smallest thing to the SR22 was an Avanti.

The stay there will still be cheaper than the one at bresso, so some airports definitely think accomodating smaller ones works.

(I got a parking on hard)

Honestly, what is wrong with people? It’s like common sense is non existent in general these days. Of course there’s parking – there is always room! And even when it’s full, just push a few of the LSA’s out into the grass with the owners consent and make room.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 28 Aug 03:11

In almost 20 years of flying I only had a parking issue once – last week, when flying to Oregon to watch the eclipse. We originally wanted to fly to Weiser in Idaho, but when I called and spoke with the airport manager, he said he couldn’t take us, because – wait for it – he had already booked 135 (yes: onehundredandthirtyfive) airplanes and was over capacity. We ended up flying to Ontario, OR, where about 50 or so airplanes landed. So: two tiny regional airports in rural parts of the US West can take about 200 airplanes between them and major European airports cannot take more than six? Seriously?

PS: As an aside, it was an absolutely amazing trip to see the eclipse!

boscomantico wrote:

One aspect might be the obvious increase of “bizet” GA traffic, and that these jets have taken up much of the space that was previously availabe for SEPs.

Another aspect is definitely that nowadays they “paint” aircraft parking positions on the GA aprons, whereas previously they didn’t, and managing the space flexibly was so much easier.

Yet another aspect might be in the increase in airline traffic. Personally, I think this is the main reason.

The B parking area at Biarritz has shrunk, but for a technical stop they will allow you to park on A normally reserved for bizjets, particularly as the BP pumps are at that end. They will charge handing from B, but not from A as you remain airside. It does appear that bizjets have squeezed GA out of there, but there have been major works there this year and they have been unwilling to accept GA parking.
San Sebastian is slightly different as there are 8 parking spots for GA, but they are often used by the flight school which have their own area at the other end. This airport has also become a bizjet destination and I have been refused parking only to receive an e-mail a hour or so later to tell me they had a cancellation. They will try and accommodate you, but you will pay a 61 euro handling unless you come from an airport with police, so in a sense they are also discouraging GA.
Commercial aviation has increased at both these airports, but I think it is only a major factor at Biarritz.

Simon

I agree that jet traffic is the main reason for all these hassles, but not due to space. Most of the airports concerned have loads of parking space.

It is because

• jets pay lots of money while fitting into the traditional airport workflow which is HANDLING
  • the pilots don’t haggle about costs (many, even bizjet ones, don’t have any idea of the costs)
  • most bizjet passengers pay anything for a fancy reception with coffee and croissants in the handling area, etc.

so basically “jets” = “easy life” while “GA” = “hassle” and since the S-word (safety) is absolutely magical in preventing external scrutiny of business practices in aviation, airports have become the last refuge of inept management looking for an easy life. I say “inept” because excluding GA makes no financial sense in most cases; nearly all airport costs are fixed costs so any money you get goes straight to the bottom line.

Other factors include an out of control handling company which conned the not-on-the-ball airport management into giving it excessive rights over traffic. Most handlers are pretty sharp in this, and pretty sharp in blocking GA which tries to avoid handling (“taxi to the aeroclub”, etc). Handlers tend to be much sharper than the airport management and easily go out of control. In some cases there is also bribery by the handler to the airport manager; I am sure this is a lot more common at airports where there is no explanation for what goes on.

As regards requesting parking, I don’t actually do that. I send the destination a standard email with the details of the flight and saying I would like avgas and hard parking for x nights, and is there anything I need to know? For France, Spain and Italy I include a google translation

Painting aircraft positions and enforcing them rigidly seems to be a mostly Greek thing. We had some of it at Carcassonne but we had many other issues at Carcassonne…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

At San Sebastian, handling is via Iberia and they have told me that they don’t see any of the money. In fact they are so reluctant to collect it, that they can forget. It is in fact a disguised revenue for AENA.
Simon

@Boscomantico
I can confirm Split is a problem in the summer. I was diverted to Brac in spite of an accepted VFR flight plan to Split. But when I got to Split for a departing commercial flight out later that day (in early August), I understood why. All flights were delayed. The line at the bar was 60 minutes plus. Only standing room in the departure area with people occupying the stairs and hanging from the railings. It was the poster child of a resort airport overwhelmed by summer demand.

Brac is a delightful contrast, with passport control and welcoming management. They seem to be picking up biz jet traffic too, but parking is no problem.

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 28 Aug 11:25
Tököl LHTL

I can confirm Split is a problem in the summer. I was diverted to Brac in spite of an accepted VFR flight plan to Split.

You shouldn’t have said that…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
25 Posts
Sign in to add your message